German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 7 month old female german shepherd and I have been thinking about getting her a playmate in the near future. The only thing is I am not sure if that would be the best idea. If you guys could help me by giving me some input that would be great. Here is what she is like:

My puppy seems to be dominant around the house but submits to everything (even chihuahuas) when we go to Petsmart. She doesn't really seem to want to have anything to do with other female but I have noticed her to be very flirty around male dogs especially other german shepherds. I am having here trained in private lessons on a weekly basis so she is becoming better behaved and more controllable. I got her from the SPCA whose previous owner got her from a local pet store so I don't know what she was handled before I got her.

Basically I was thinking about getting a male german shepherd since she does really well with them from a breeder that is relatively close to where I live. My concerns are since she is on the tiny side, I am worried that if I get a male from a breeder he will be pretty big compared to her so I don't know if that would be an issue. I've never had two dogs at once before but with my new living conditions and job I now have the space and time for two dogs. I am worried that she might feel jealous or sad that she isn't the only dog in the house anymore.

Can you guys provide some input?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have always had two dogs, but they have always been about three years apart. It is nice for the dogs to play together, but I always give them seperate play time and training time too. I have always been happy with two. If you have the time, space and finances for two dogs then you are off to a good start. Have you ever had a play date at your house? Can you explain how she is dominant at your house? Is is to you or other dogs? Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used to have Whippets. The female was a few years older than the male which caused problems when she was older and couldn't play like he wanted to. I just adopted a male GSD puppy in February and my sister got a male Mini Australian Shepherd in March. They were born exactly one week apart. They're inseparable now. Even despite the size difference, they play like there's no tomorrow! I've always preferred more than one dog as it helps with loneliness when the owner isn't home. I would say that if you have the money and time for it, go for it!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always had two dogs, but they have always been about three years apart. It is nice for the dogs to play together, but I always give them seperate play time and training time too. I have always been happy with two. If you have the time, space and finances for two dogs then you are off to a good start. Have you ever had a play date at your house? Can you explain how she is dominant at your house? Is is to you or other dogs? Good luck on your decision!
Thanks for the reply. I've had playdates at my house before but its always been with other females and shes always made them submit to her even though they were bigger than her. Thats pretty much as dominant as she gets. She is spayed but she tends to mark everything in sight in my front yard and kicks her legs when shes done relieving herself.

Three years apart? A lot of people have told me that if I want to get a second dog then I should do it when the first dog is around one years old. Anything longer than that will be difficult since the first dog gets so used to being the only dog in the house so they might not take to the second dog as well.

What do you mean separate playtime? Also what is your take on the size difference issue?

Again thanks for the input.

·
Banned
599 Posts
I currently have a 7 month old female german shepherd and I have been thinking about getting her a playmate in the near future. The only thing is I am not sure if that would be the best idea. If you guys could help me by giving me some input that would be great. Here is what she is like:

My puppy seems to be dominant around the house but submits to everything (even chihuahuas) when we go to Petsmart. She doesn't really seem to want to have anything to do with other female but I have noticed her to be very flirty around male dogs especially other german shepherds. I am having here trained in private lessons on a weekly basis so she is becoming better behaved and more controllable. I got her from the SPCA whose previous owner got her from a local pet store so I don't know what she was handled before I got her.

Basically I was thinking about getting a male german shepherd since she does really well with them from a breeder that is relatively close to where I live. My concerns are since she is on the tiny side, I am worried that if I get a male from a breeder he will be pretty big compared to her so I don't know if that would be an issue. I've never had two dogs at once before but with my new living conditions and job I now have the space and time for two dogs. I am worried that she might feel jealous or sad that she isn't the only dog in the house anymore.

Can you guys provide some input?
Australian Shepherds are VERY good with GSD's. If she likes males, but you think a GSD is too big, try a male Aussie.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to have Whippets. The female was a few years older than the male which caused problems when she was older and couldn't play like he wanted to. I just adopted a male GSD puppy in February and my sister got a male Mini Australian Shepherd in March. They were born exactly one week apart. They're inseparable now. Even despite the size difference, they play like there's no tomorrow! I've always preferred more than one dog as it helps with loneliness when the owner isn't home. I would say that if you have the money and time for it, go for it!

So around how old should my puppy be before I bring home a male pup? Even though theres a size difference do they play rough? Does the size difference ever cause injuries?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Australian Shepherds are VERY good with GSD's. If she likes males, but you think a GSD is too big, try a male Aussie.
The thing I've noticed about my puppy is that she is very breed specific on who she plays with. I bring her to daycare all the time and the daycare people say she only interacts with the german shepherds that are there.

·
Registered
637 Posts
two dogs = two vet bills, two dog training costs, two dogs on walks, two of everything. you have to do separate training time and play time with YOU so that the dog bonds to you not the other dog.. since your female doesnt really like other females then a male is the way to go. group training courses are good to as they work on any issues your dog might have with other strange dogs. i always do group training so that my dog is used to other dogs but thats just me.
size only matters if one gets hurt, but any size dog can get hurt during play time. i have a 55 lb, a 60 lb and a 38 lb dog here , plus on alternating weekends an 80 lb dog. the 38 lb is monitored during play as she is 17. the other dogs ages are 3 , 11, and 9 years old. they all play good together (except my 11 yr old male he cant play with more then one dog at once ) but otherwise they all play and get along good..

as long as you are ready for two dogs and financially can handle it there is nothing wrong with 2 dogs as long as your female wants a live in playmate.....

lol on her being breed specific.. if she prefers her own kind then get her own kind.. some dogs play rough,some play gentle..

·
Banned
599 Posts
The thing I've noticed about my puppy is that she is very breed specific on who she plays with. I bring her to daycare all the time and the daycare people say she only interacts with the german shepherds that are there.
Than I would suggest a year old male GSD. He is a little older than her, but young enough for them to play and grow up together.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Okay, OP. Here is my advice. Take it or discard it in the same spirit it is offered in.

Taking a closer look at when to add another dog to your home has less to do with an arbitrary age benchmark and (much) more to do with what your current dog deserves and requires from you as an owner.

I don't know how old your current dog is. From reading this thread, I think she is less than a year old. Here is the deal: she will continue to grow (mentally for the most part, but also physically in that she will fill out as well). Raising a dog to true adulthood is a series of fits and starts and advances and retreats.

Our dogs depend on us to provide them with the structure and guidance they need to reach their full potential. That means sticking with them through the ups and downs of their development. It is kind of like building a car from the ground up. For a period of time you need to keep adding parts and then adjusting those parts for maximum performance. Then, after all the parts have been added, and all the adjusting is over, you enter the maintenance phase. It isn't nearly as time and money consuming as the building phase.

With your current dog, you are still building her, adding parts and adjusting them. She still has a whole lot of building still to come. And she deserves to have your undivided attention while you're doing it, too.

When she is about 3 years old (give or take a few months), if you have been diligent about building her up, you will enter the maintenance phase. That is when you should start looking at a second dog. Your careful building has paid off with a well trained, well adjusted adult dog that is a joy to be around. You know this dog's adult personality and what type of dog she likes and what type of dog she doesn't, so you are all set to make a perfect choice in finding another dog that will fit your home.

That is my advice. Your current dog is still a puppy, an incomplete version of her adult self. She is a car that you are still building. Wait until she is finished.
Sheilah

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I completely agree with Sheilah. Wait and devote all your time and energy to your dog and then rethink the idea of getting another dog when she is 3 yrs old. or so.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
make sure your 7 month old is well trained and socialized
before adding another dog. if i had a dog that was having
problems with other dogs i wouldn't get another dog.

you're having your dog privately trained. are you going to class
with your dog?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
make sure your 7 month old is well trained and socialized
before adding another dog. if i had a dog that was having
problems with other dogs i wouldn't get another dog.

you're having your dog privately trained. are you going to class
with your dog?
She doesn't go to group classes but she does go to doggie daycare every other day where she is around about 30 other dogs of both sexes and all sorts of breeds. She doesn't have problems with other dogs, its just she only pays attention to other males. She'll play with a female every so often but she just ignores other females most of the time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know whether you should get another dog or not, but I could give you my experience:
I had a male GSD, Riley, who hated other dogs and was very terrified of them. When he was 6 months old I got an 8 wk old female puppy. He was scared of her, barked at her, and was a bit jealous over her the 1st few weeks I had her, but then began to really like her. The two began to play together often; he played very gently with her. 2 months later I got a 7 mth old male dog. The two males did not like eachother very much at first, but very quickly began to really enjoy playing with eachother. So in the end, Riley began to really like other dogs and their company.
I've learned that German Shepherds are "pack animals" and normally like to have the company of another dog. When I am unable to play with them, I let them play together. They keep eachother from getting lonely when I am not around.
So, should you get another dog? That is totally up to you. But if your female does not like other females, I suggest that you get a male german shepherd. It's quite common for female german shepherds to get aggressive with eachother, sometimes they want to kill eachother.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
do you handle your dog during training or are you sending her away for training?

She doesn't go to group classes but she does go to doggie daycare every other day where she is around about 30 other dogs of both sexes and all sorts of breeds. She doesn't have problems with other dogs, its just she only pays attention to other males. She'll play with a female every so often but she just ignores other females most of the time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well my sisters Aussie is a mini and my GSD is quite large, so the Aussie is about a 1/3 the GSDs size. But that doesn't stop the little one! He can play just as rough as my big boy and my big big boy can play just a gentle with the little one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So around how old should my puppy be before I bring home a male pup? Even though theres a size difference do they play rough? Does the size difference ever cause injuries?
It's going to completely depend on when you feel that she is ready for another dog. If you feel that way now, go for it! I know I sure would!
And despite the drastic size, there has never been any injuries. The only problem we had was Kane (the GSD) biting everybody too hard. But that's because he wouldn't go near his siblings and I had to teach him bite inhibition myself. But he's remarkable with Zeus (the Aussie). He'll let Zeus do just about anything and never let's it get out of hand. If he gets tired of his tail being bitten, he just sits on Zeus. Which oddly enough, Zeus doesn't seem to mind lol. But what I'd do is take your girl and the potential sibling for her to a mutual meeting place and see how things pan out!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have never had two dogs before ....but, when my girl was 7 months old we took home a little 8 week old boy! Best thing ever ...YES tons of work in the beginning. My boy is almost a year and my girl is about 16 months.
They are inseparable - love watching them run and run and run and play outside, then they will come in and snuggle up together. They never fight or anything, once in a while they might argue about a certain toy or ball. Lol
My girl had all her cute fluffy toys, she loved playing with them. My boy came and has taken all the stuffing out of every one. Total teddy bears but total different personalities

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have a six month old. Although he loves to play with other dogs .. he is NOWHERE ready to have another playmate at the house. He needs more distractions like another hole in the head! :) He needs much more work before he's ready. It isn't fair to him to bring another dog home and halve the attention he gets. He needs it all right now and will for about the next year ... at least!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts