German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow GSD owners! Your help would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas on whether this little 7 week guy will have a short or long coat? Father has around a medium hair length, mother is short haired. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts
dad is a long coat... puppy is a long coat. “medium” is merely descriptive.

·
Registered
371 Posts
dad is a long coat... puppy is a long coat. “medium” is merely descriptive.
For what it is worth, on my 5th Shepherd at 68 y.o.
Here in Australia there is a medium coat between the long hair and the short coat. For Shows they call it a "Glamour Coat" It is hard to tell at that age, but longer IMO than a short coat and not spouting bunches around the head like a long coat, my money is the Glamour Coat which is nice. A little more hair shedding and grooming required, but not as extreme as the long coat.

Beautiful puppy.. Love him to death...

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts
For what it is worth, on my 5th Shepherd at 68 y.o.
Here in Australia there is a medium coat between the long hair and the short coat. For Shows they call it a "Glamour Coat" It is hard to tell at that age, but longer IMO than a short coat and not spouting bunches around the head like a long coat, my money is the Glamour Coat which is nice. A little more hair shedding and grooming required, but not as extreme as the long coat.

Beautiful puppy.. Love him to death...
no matter how many gsd you’ve had, and no matter where you are in the world....
genetically, the dog is a stock coat or a long stock coat. both have ranges of actual coat length and fullness. plush, medium, show, glamour..... all descriptive.
i don’t make this stuff up ;)

so for clarification... the sire of the OP’s puppy is a long stock coat, the dam is a stock coat, and although he may end up very glamorous... the puppy also appears to be a long stock coat.

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
no matter how many gsd you’ve had, and no matter where you are in the world....
genetically, the dog is a stock coat or a long stock coat. both have ranges of actual coat length and fullness. plush, medium, show, glamour..... all descriptive.
i don’t make this stuff up ;)

so for clarification... the sire of the OP’s puppy is a long stock coat, the dam is a stock coat, and although he may end up very glamorous... the puppy also appears to be a long stock coat.
Those darn genes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts