German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a puppy and although the breeder claims the puppy is a long hair, I'm a little skeptical but I don't have the knowledge to really make that call.
Is anyone here able to help?

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
It might be long haired. But pups are usually puffy so maybe not. If I were you I’d get short hair anyway.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If a reputable breeder told me that pup was a long coat, I would absolutely believe them. Especially when compared to what I assume is a littermate beside him. Why would you question the breeder if you don’t have the knowledge? Any good breeder will know, so if you don’t trust your breeder, I highly suggest you walk away.

There aren’t really fluffs on the ears, but that doesn’t necessarily mean not a long coat. How old are these puppies?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am concerned as the pups was advertised as plush coats and short hair..but when I enquired about any upcoming litters that may produce long coats, they said that they have one that they 'think' is a long coat.

I've decided to look elsewhere as I would prefer my breeder to be more confident with this kind of information.

·
Super Moderator
6,702 Posts
I support passing on this litter. The pup is likely a long coat, but doesnt look to be in the best shape...

I’d also look for a breeder that knows or explains that “plush” is only a descriptive term. There are essentially two coat types - stock and long stock. They should know this based on parentage and full litter comparison.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a puppy and although the breeder claims the puppy is a long hair, I'm a little skeptical but I don't have the knowledge to really make that call.
Is anyone here able to help?
This was my GSD as a puppy... no sign of long coat, hardly had a tail )) But he grew up and now he's a long coat

And here he is now at almost 3 years

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
I agree with Sabis Mom, the floofy fur on and around the ears showed that he's a longcoat. It takes a few months before the longer adult coat starts to come in, so looking at the body and tail isn't going to tell you much at that age. Those ears, though. 💕

This was my GSD as a puppy... no sign of long coat, hardly had a tail )) But he grew up and now he's a long coat
View attachment 558146

1 - 9 of 9 Posts