German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Aspen is a white short hair GSD and my first short hair GSD and the comments I get most is that she is too skinny. She is thin and lanky(6 months old) but I figured compared to regular coat GSD she does look thin because she doesnt have all the hair to look bulkier. Is this a comment that you guys with short hairs get about them being thin?? PS- my vet said she is just perfect for her age and not to thin.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I would listen to the vet. So many people seem to think dogs should look like sausages. Young dogs often are on the thin side.

·
Registered
771 Posts
6 months is a very lanky stage for Shepherd puppies! Haha. I'm guessing everyone who made these comments aren't very familiar with the breed?

guys with short hairs eh? :p

·
Registered
585 Posts
agreed, ryder is 2 and weighs 84 pounds. My bil saws he is to skinny. Of course they use to own a lh female that was built like a
brick house. She was so beautiful. Her name was jade and that is why i own one now. She was the best.

My vet said ryder weight is great...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My short haired black GSD gained 18 pounds in the past month (she is 4.5 months old) and she also looks really thin above her hindquarters but the vet today said she is perfectly healthy and at the right weight (35 lbs. now)

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Morgan was skinny, so much so that people used to ask me what was wrong with her. Nothing other than she's willowy and was hyperactive when she was 2 - 59 lbs, 23 1/2" tall.

Eventually she filled out, then she got fat (was 87lbs) and the vet gave me a serious lecture that she should be 59 lbs! Now she hovers around 70lbs which is where I think she should be.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am seriously getting tired of the skinny comments- I had my parents over last weekend and my dad said,"she looks like a greyhound!" Then today my sister in law was over and the first thing out of her mouth was...she looks like a greyhound- is she anorexic! She is 6 months old and is 45 pounds and she does look skinny but now I am all paranoid! I went to the store and got her raw frozen food to see if I can put a little bit of weight on her?? We'll see I guess!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You know, it's like my daughter, she has ALWAYS been a bean pole (and I am more like a large Oak). I remember taking her to the doc worried that she was too thin and the doc said she was just perfect and then said "I can see she takes after her father". I almost belted a doctor, yes, I almost did... :p

Anyway, my Lulu (4.5 month old GSD) looks thin as she is a short haired GSD above the hindquarters but the vet said she is perfectly healthy and perfect weight at 35 lbs (she gained 18 pounds in the past month).

I guess my point is don't worry about how they look, if they are healthy all the nutrition goes into their growing and their muscle and they don't need to "look" like they have weight on them to be healthy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts