German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a 16 wk old puppy with a short attention span for play? Such as fetch? If I can entice her to fetch her ball or toy she typically will only chase and bring it back 2 or 3 times and seems to be enjoying it but then is just over it. I don't know if its just an age thing or she just doesn't like to play much like that? Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yup my 6 mo. old is that way, always has been. She will play fetch in the house forever. Out side it is 3-4 throws and it's over. But her flirt pole is another story. She won't stop playing that until she drops. Your pup is young and it just might be getting physically tired if you are throwing the ball far. Or, like in my case, she just isn't satisfied with the reward of fetch. If she is very prey driven a flirt pole may be more satisfying to her. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup my 6 mo. old is that way, always has been. She will play fetch in the house forever. Out side it is 3-4 throws and it's over. But her flirt pole is another story. She won't stop playing that until she drops. Your pup is young and it just might be getting physically tired if you are throwing the ball far. Or, like in my case, she just isn't satisfied with the reward of fetch. If she is very prey driven a flirt pole may be more satisfying to her. Just my thoughts.
My Mila is the same way. Much more interested in fetching indoors. She doesn't seem super tired but definitely possible. She typically gets bored and moves on to pouncing crickets and chewing bark off of my tree trunks. I did make her a flirt pole last weekend and she really does seem to like that but she will get bored or tired and just lie in wait for it to come close to her before going for it. I was wondering if maybe it was just a developmental thing and she would be more interested in playing with me later. :) silly girl.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very normal for a puppy. I would also suggest making a flirt pole.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My Mila is the same way. Much more interested in fetching indoors. She doesn't seem super tired but definitely possible. She typically gets bored and moves on to pouncing crickets and chewing bark off of my tree trunks. I did make her a flirt pole last weekend and she really does seem to like that but she will get bored or tired and just lie in wait for it to come close to her before going for it. I was wondering if maybe it was just a developmental thing and she would be more interested in playing with me later. :) silly girl.

She's young, give her time. Right now she is no different then a human baby...she's exploring her world. She may also be a low drive pup. My advise, just enjoy her. A few weeks from now you may be "wishing" she didn't want to play....lol!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True. Thanks all for the responses. She seems actually to have more drive for the rope than the toy on the end of it. I found that out today when she managed to yank it off and continued to chase the rope with more vigor.

·
Super Moderator
32,310 Posts
A 16 week old puppy is about the developmental equivalent of a 4 or 5 year old child. A short attention span is pretty much a given. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how are you teaching her to fetch?
Hmm not really sure. :) she does it on her own most of the time and I get SUPER excited when she brings it back. (My neighbors likely think I am whacked). Sometimes if she doesn't go after it I start running after it and she usually runs ahead to get it first. How does a person typically teach that?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hmm not really sure. :) she does it on her own most of the time and I get SUPER excited when she brings it back. (My neighbors likely think I am whacked). Sometimes if she doesn't go after it I start running after it and she usually runs ahead to get it first. How does a person typically teach that?

Well, I don't know if this is necessarily the RIGHT way but how I taught fetch was to stand at the end of our hallway and throw the ball to the end of it. Eko ran to get it, then I would sort of squat down with open arms and call him, and when he ran to me there was no room for him to zoom past so he would come to me and I'd take the ball, have him sit, and repeat over and over again. Now he ALWAYS brings EVERYTHING back, lol. Even his dripping wet tennis balls I can't stand to touch, he plops them right in my lap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts