German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! I am picking up my new puppy tonight! Any suggestions on what kind of toys and treats a GSD puppy would be happy to start out with. I have a crate, stainless steel bowls, collar, leash, but am unsure what kind of fun stuff he would like to have. Would love any suggestions!

·
Registered
176 Posts
We love our classic Kong. Strider's first, and still one of his favorites, is a rope toy. His favorite, though is a rubber ball with the squeaky taken out (that was our doing. Haha!)

A lot of people recommend the JW Bad Cuz toys. Strider hasn't shown too much of an interest but I think that's because he just loves his ball. :)

Nylabones are also a must, in my opinion. Strider never liked the small ones. He went straight for the Galileo but I think that's because his big brother has one.

Our new favorite toy is the flirt pole. That won't be something you can use until your pup has some basic training (sit, stay, leave it or wait for it, drop it, take it) but definitely something you'll want to look into for the future.

Enjoy your pup!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
brush, balls (big enough so he can't swallow them), rope,
tug toys. i don't give my dog anything that's made in China.
treats; i use natural, organic, home made and human food.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked him up a rope toy with a handle so we can play tug, a couple of balls, as his ball drive seems pretty high, a pack of bully sticks, an antler chew, a kong, and a stuffie. We are off to a good start.

I think I will be okay without the puppy class and the trainer unless he proves to be very strong willed. He is my second German Shepherd, and my first was amazing...obedience trained, well mannered, and a joy to have around. Consistency is key! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
A good sturdy ball with a squeaker in it is a great toy for a pup. Keeps his interest a bit more while learning to fetch (which won't take long at all I'm sure). After that, doesn't matter if it makes noise or not!

And good call on the bully sticks. I didn't find out about those until later on with my pup.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our pup really liked the Aussie Naturals wool toys with the crunchy bottle inside, the hedgehogs with the squeaky eggs inside (can't think of the official name right now), and the dogit puzzles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts