German Shepherds Forum banner

Shipping cost EU to North America

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  KarmaPuppy 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me a ballpark price on the cost of shipping a 8 - 9 week old GSD puppy from Europe to Canada - USA.

Thanks,

GG

#2 ·
A lot, most likely more than you pay for the puppy. Then they only deliver to certain airports, not all internationals. Then you will need to pay ground transport to where you are.

Seriously, your best option is for either yourself or someone you trust to fly to Europe and bring the puppy back. If you play your cards right, you might even get to stay a couple of days.

#5 ·
Not 100% sure but I have been told they can fly in the cabin with you. Are you shipping in only one? I think if you bring in more than two you will also have to deal with customs but I am in the US so things can be different. There can be significant shipping savings if you and a friend ship pups together.

#4 · (Edited)
Just to give you an idea...Westjet...charged me...(freight, I didn't travel) 120.00 plus tax to ship 7 canaries from Ontario to Nova Scotia, last year. I had to provide my own crate for the breeder to ship.

Are they just Canada wide?
There's a number to call.

>>Pets travelling on their own (as cargo)
WestJet Cargo accepts pets travelling on their own. If you wish to transport an unaccompanied pet, please contact WestJet Cargo for rates and information at 1-866-952-2746 (1-866-WJCARGO). <<

I think they have a policy about what months pets can travel, our cutoff because birds are so fragile was Oct. 31. I got mine on Oct. 18.

#9 ·
Wow! That's roughly US$2200 for shipping a pup from Germany to the UK. I can't imagine what it would cost to ship it across the pond. That's about the cost of a European working line pup that you can purchase here in the States. My Czech working line was 2,000 bucks. If I'm paying over 4000 dollars for a pup, he better be able to do my taxes for me.

If you do a quick search, you can find several sites that ship pets. I didn't want to list site names in case it wasn't allowed. But it looks like it could cost up to 400 dollars-ish for in cabin travel. And some airlines don't allow puppies in the cabin...I assume because its not potty trained and the smell will waft thru the air and passengers will complain. You'll have to do your own research on that. Germany to the States/Canada is about a 10 hour flight. There's no way a puppy can hold it that long. Anyway, good luck.

#14 ·
A few years ago I think it was around $1,200 to ship our dog, who was almost 9 months old at the time, from Czech Republic to the US. Has international shipping prices gone up since then?

Reactions: Oldschool
#17 · (Edited)
I can answer this one!

Cost with shipping company: $550 euro. This was what they charged the breeder.

Breeder charge, including shipping, vet, papers, transport to the airport, crate: 1200 euro.

You will need a broker to get him out of customs. I believe the fee is $150. We didn’t use one because we had no idea we needed one, so we drove to another building to do the customs paperwork.

Age requirement is 10 weeks.

#27 ·
when you import from Europe are you going for certain blood lines or criteria? My fiance went to canada to get our original female bully about 5-6 years ago now. When it comes to bully's blood lines are KEY due to all of their health issues.

Still absorbing and learning about GSD's as we go. So i'm just curious. I know the Czech and German lines gotta be the most pure lines correct? Do they have the same temperaments as the ones found here in the states? Same sizes and colorings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.