German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trolling Craigs list I saw an ad for a GSD/Shiloh mix. Not really sure what the difference would be, looked like a coatie, I went searching around and found out that this is a breed that is not yet recognized by AKC and others. Anyone know of the breed and what the true difference is with these? Just never heard of them before.

Here is a pic of the girl.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/13_Breed_Type/Breed_Types.html

Shiloh Shepherd. A breed developed in America as a reaction to the increasingly extreme show type, in a supposed attempt to recreate the qualities of the "original" GSD. Alaskan Malamute and Sarplaninac were crossed in to increase size. This is a giant breed, at least 30" at the shoulder. It is not AKC recognized, but is registered with the ISSR, or International Shiloh Shepherd Registry. All colours and long coats are accepted. Ears are slightly smaller than the GSD. Temperament is medium to soft and drive is variable. Although its giant size and soft temperament make it unsuitable as a police service dog, it is an intelligent and sensitive breed that can make a fine companion, family and therapy dog.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can tell you that I adopted an ARB Shiloh male whose brother and father were international champions. I can tell you that mine was a magnificent animal, scary intelligent, and hands down the strongest dog I've ever encountered (and I've encountered a few). Mine went through police K9 training and they could not make him aggressive enough to make the grade (he excelled in obedience and every other training aspect). In our lives, he showed true aggression only one time when my life was directly in danger from a stranger (whose presence I did not detect). His average weight of 130 and sheer appearance took care of most potential problems before they could even get started. Shilohs tend to bond hard with their humans.

These are all the things I know from experience. What I don't have a clue about is what happens when they mix with PB GSDs. They do suffer the same problems as any GSD when the breeding is less than it should be. In a perfect world, the dog in question would have the best traits of both and be a super pet. ID

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: IntuitDog Mine went through police K9 training and they could not make him aggressive enough to make the grade (he excelled in obedience and every other training aspect).
Off-topic, but WTH? What K9 training program is trying to "make dogs aggressive"? Good thing he got out of that and ended up with you!!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: LiesjeOff-topic, but WTH? What K9 training program is trying to "make dogs aggressive"? Good thing he got out of that and ended up with you!!
I interpreted that to mean that the dog wouldn't bite - with or without a sleeve. (I hope)

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppy
Originally Posted By: LiesjeOff-topic, but WTH? What K9 training program is trying to "make dogs aggressive"? Good thing he got out of that and ended up with you!!
I interpreted that to mean that the dog wouldn't bite - with or without a sleeve. (I hope)
Yeah, that's what I read too. K9 dog does need to show aggression when appropriate -

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppy
I hope so too, I've just never heard of good trainers refering to bitework as "making a dog be aggressive". I dunno, just something about the way it was worded and what is implied that stopped me.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
There are many threads on Shiloh Shepherd on this forum if you do a search for them. They come up every couple of months, it seems.

Quote:A breed developed in America as a reaction to the increasingly extreme show type, in a supposed attempt to recreate the qualities of the "original" GSD. Alaskan Malamute and Sarplaninac were crossed in to increase size.
This about says it all for me. I'm all with the attempt to "recreate the qualities of the original GSD" vs. some of the American (and German) showline dogs one sees today. But that kinda clashes with mixing in Malamutes to "increase size" since the original Shepherds were NOT huge hulking monsters, but a medium-size herding dog.

Not so sure their intent and their execution quite match...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Originally Posted By: Liesje
Originally Posted By: IntuitDog Mine went through police K9 training and they could not make him aggressive enough to make the grade (he excelled in obedience and every other training aspect).
Off-topic, but WTH? What K9 training program is trying to "make dogs aggressive"? Good thing he got out of that and ended up with you!!
Thanks Lies. Sorry about responding late but I've been a little distracted.

My 'aggressive enough' comment was pretty much a quote from the breeder (to whom he went back and from whom he came to me). I cannot speak for what went on when he was taken into that program to become a K9 recruit. I don't know anything about the training tactics, except what I've observed mostly via the media. Based strictly on that and my 10+ years of loving, admiring, and caring for this dog, this is what I think went wrong:

Officer to Po at doorway of residence - Okay Boy, time to work - seek and hold, go find 'em boy.... at which point Po would probably look up at his handler and ask if he remembered to get a warrant this time actually signed by a judge, and then demand to see it.

That was my boy in a nutshell. If you've been in the presence of a dog that seemed to think and reason things through until he came up with a way to make it work his way, that's what I'm talking about. It's not that he could not do it, he just seemed to be above it all unless he felt it was necessary.

Po came to me because he was a big GSD (in my terms) who happened to have a microscopic flaw on an x-ray which made his value zero in his world. To me, his beauty, intelligence and loyalty were priceless, and I'm so lucky he did not make the grade, either in the show world, the breeding world, or the world of law enforcement. In all those years, this dog never let me down and, in fact, never exhibited a single moment of problem or trouble, not a single one. I will miss him all the remaining days of my life, every single one. ID

1 - 11 of 11 Posts