German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a pet nutrition center and one of my customers just brought in her 10 week old shiloh shepherd. I remember when I was a young child around 8 years old, one of my girlfriend's parents owned a shiloh. They even named her that. I did do some research on them and came to the understanding that not all breeder's shiloh's are truly shiloh's. It is to my understanding that they are the old fashioned breed of gsd. Is this true? Are they different then coaties? And what I really didn't get is are they regisited with the AKC, and if they aren't, why not? They are supposedly purebreds aren't they? I'm confused, but wouldn't mind wanting to own one in the future.....they sure are beauties!! What's the story?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, sorry guys, forgot all about that all important "search" feature! Duh....anyway, seems like I might have drummed up a controversial subject, so if I did so sorry. Just was confused.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
They are considered to be a branch off from GSDs. They are not registered with the AKC because they're not considered by many to be a pure breed because of that branch off. Temperment wise they're more mellow and less driven than GSDs. They're body shape is slightly different from a GSD but then you take a look at all the different lines of GSD and realize that doesnt amount to much. they're supposedly the old fashioned GSD but they're temperments are entirely different and they're generally supposed to be bigger than a GSD. I wouldnt mind having a shiloh either. They're gorgeous dogs and you can even get them in the shorter stock coats! love it!

they're also a relatively new breed as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Kzoppa! I went on the Shiloh Shepherd Club of America. They have some breeders that seem pretty reptuable. I hear you have to watch the ones breeding what are supposed to be Shiloh's but aren't. Some are charging as much as 5 grand. I think this customer got an imposter, lol! Hope not. Anyway, I went to one of the breeder's sites. Their pups are going for 1500.00 for pet quality and a grand on top of that for show. Didn't think that was too bad for a Shiloh. Especially if all the genetic testing is done. Humm.......hey, I can dream can't I?? lol!! Oh and caught a gander of the stock coats!!! Wow, really nice!! Wouldn't mind less of a drive either. I'm not getting any younger and I think this might be a nice match for me somewhere down the road when I'm too old to work my gsd's any longer, lol!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
if i can get my scanner to like me again (hubby touched it, now its mad) i'll see about loading the info i have for shilohs on here. have another thread i need to load it to as well. they're great dogs. less health issues than gsd's too.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like that! The health issues with the gsd are a real concern to me. I'm so bonded with Storm, I couldn't imagine anything like that happening to him. It would be nice to have a gsd that has less of them, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
oh yeah/ allergies are destroying one of our dogs. my other girl who lives with my inlaws has HD. i'll make hubby fix the scanner tomoorow if possible. all else fails i'll see if i can find what i have online. but we have my female who's with my inlaws registered with the vet as a shiloh. she fits the description pretty nicely for the stock coat

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Storm has battled skin problems since he was about a year and a half. I recently tried the Nzymes Healthy Skin Kit and it has worked wonders for him. He is also on a special diet which eliminates ingredients which feed yeast. In all my years of owning dogs I've never experienced anything like this. I was really at my wit's end with the itching and scratching. I even resorted to rubbing his groin with a special australian diaper rash cream which had to be specially ordered!!! You haven't lived until you've seen a petite grown woman rubbing diaper rash cream on a 100 pound male gsd! My hubbie said he wishes he would have had the camcorder out! lol! Now that would have been a real treat for this board, lol!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
As for the allergies, what kind of food do you feed?
You can do a lot with just switching foods. My boy completely stopped scratching at all ever since I switched to Orijen 6fish and I have not had any reason to feed any supplements or medicate him. Have him tested on food allergies. Once you know, all you have to do is to find the right food.

Sometimes, that is all it takes. ;)

As for Shiloh and the so called Old fashioned German Shepherds... I'll keep my mouth shut. :help:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
LMAO! unfortunately right now we're battling allergies with our male but scratching and chewing like crazy because of fleas that suddenly appeared. and it doesnt help matters because our male also has flea allergies. cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. bathing is tough because the temps keep changing so bathing outside isnt an option and bathing inside has never been an option with just me doing it and no sprayer to help rinse. as soon as the flea problem is taken care of we're doing a diet switch for Riley. i did check out that nzymes site and may order some stuff but we'll see. Riley would probably be thrilled is i put anything on him but without gloves.... i'm not going there. lol.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
As for the allergies, what kind of food do you feed?
You can do a lot with just switching foods. My boy completely stopped scratching at all ever since I switched to Orijen 6fish and I have not had any reason to feed any supplements or medicate him. Have him tested on food allergies. Once you know, all you have to do is to find the right food.

Sometimes, that is all it takes. ;)

As for Shiloh and the so called Old fashioned German Shepherds... I'll keep my mouth shut. :help:

do tell! very curious. i was explaining what my knowledge of Shiloh's is. I'm interested to know other peoples knowledge on the subject. my understanding is its kinda tough to determine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Solace Shilohs

Check out Asia and the other one. Geez, I already forget their names and I was just there, lol! Fleas are bad right about now. Hey, if you have a problem bathing check out the Hydrosurge Rapid Bathing System. I absolutely love it for Storm. The only thing that would relieve his hot groin when it got bad was to put him in the tub and spray his groin with cool water and I would put an oatmeal soothing shampoo cartridge in. You can get these systems cheaper online but Petsmart sells them. I paid 65.00 for mine, but still cheaper then running to the groomers. That's not an option for me since I also have 3 other dogs. Used to have 5 but just lost my lab/shepherd mix September 4th. He was 13 1/2. I hate like **** to use the Advantix on Storm, but I have to. It's been so mild here in South Jersey, and I have a feeling that these fleas are gonna be around for awhile. Storm is also allergic to flea bites. I think Storm is allergic to Storm, lol! Oh yea, and the Nzymes have a 120 day guarantee.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
They are considered to be a branch off from GSDs. They are not registered with the AKC because they're not considered by many to be a pure breed because of that branch off. Temperment wise they're more mellow and less driven than GSDs. They're body shape is slightly different from a GSD but then you take a look at all the different lines of GSD and realize that doesnt amount to much. they're supposedly the old fashioned GSD but they're temperments are entirely different and they're generally supposed to be bigger than a GSD. I wouldnt mind having a shiloh either. They're gorgeous dogs and you can even get them in the shorter stock coats! love it!

they're also a relatively new breed as well.
I do not think its fair to compare shilohs and GSDs.They are not like the GSD in anyway and are not meant to be. Anyone claiming they are "old fashioned type GSDs" is just flat out lying. Why do people think old fashioned GSDs were low energy oversized gentle dogs?? Sure doesn't sound GSD to me.

Here are 2 threads
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/99930-shiloh-king-shepherds.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...93185-german-shepherd-vs-shiloh-shepherd.html

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It would be nice to have a gsd that has less of them, wouldn't it?
Of course it would - that's why people turn to breeders to stack the odds in their favor, or rescue/adopt an older dog :)

If you think you can find that in a Shiloh, you unfortunately won't. They are not German Shepherds, even if the health claim were true. Not a criticism of these dogs, just fact. They were created from multiple different breeds to create a giant, fluffy teddy bear dog. That's not a German Shepherd. They are a very different type of dog.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mrs. K., I did switch foods, tried elimination diets, to no avail. My problem was the food in a sense. I was feeding a grain free that was for dogs with allergy problems. Little did I realize that it was not allergies, but yeast. Once I took Storm off of the grain frees with all the high glycemic carbs like potatos, pea protein, and tapioca, and put him back on simple carbs like brown rice, barley and oatmeal it was like night and day. Between the detox and the diet change he's been a new man, lol!

As far as the shiloh's I would appreciate all the input I can get, especially since I wouldn't totally rule out ever owning one.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Shiloh Shepherd Club of America claims (and I don't know enough about this breed to know if it is fact or fiction) that they are from gsd bloodlines. I have heard rumours that there is some malamute in there to give them their bone mass and size. I don't know....

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
do tell! very curious. i was explaining what my knowledge of Shiloh's is. I'm interested to know other peoples knowledge on the subject. my understanding is its kinda tough to determine.
Nah, it's just that I have very strong feelings about the "Oooh we have to better the breed and create a new better German Shepher" kind of thing.

Seriously, if you don't want a German Shepherd with all his traits than don't get one but don't start a new breed because you think he has to be a certain way.

And to me "old fashioned" GSD breeders are frauds to me. I know what the GSD looked like in the early 1900's and it certainly did not look like one of those dogs and because I am waaay to emotional for that kind of topic and have very strong feelings I'll keep my mouth shut. Not because of you but because I know myself and I'll get myself wrapped up in a heated discussion that runs in circles. :help:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't think the Shiloh was a "new" breed. I remember my friend's parents owning one. Let's see. I'm now 46 and I was around 9 years old. So that was some time ago. Also, I spent summers as a little girl with my sister. She owned a large female sable gsd. I don't remember her looking much different then the gsd's of today. Well, maybe except for the fact that she had a straighter topline from what I see alot of nowadays, but that's another thing I don't really understand about the breed. Why are some gsd's topline straight and some that I see (especially american show lines) so angulated in the rear? To me I would think that that would make the hips more able to go bad. And there are so many different looking gsd's. Like the american and european imports. Humm....what a confusing breed....lol!! Certainly not like the pug or golden retriever whom all pretty much look alike, lol!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I do not think its fair to compare shilohs and GSDs.They are not like the GSD in anyway and are not meant to be. Anyone claiming they are "old fashioned type GSDs" is just flat out lying. Why do people think old fashioned GSDs were low energy oversized gentle dogs?? Sure doesn't sound GSD to me.

Here are 2 threads
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/99930-shiloh-king-shepherds.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...93185-german-shepherd-vs-shiloh-shepherd.html

i never said any of it was fact! i just stated MY knowledge of the breed.

i agree with mrs.k on the old fashioned GSD breeders being frauds.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All I want to know is where the heck do they come from???!!! lol.....

1 - 20 of 72 Posts