German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's not trying to bite me, but she's pulling away. She really doesn't like it. It's quite a struggle to get them clean. When Lady had ear infections, she just laid there while we cleaned them.. .course, that's all she did any other time also. lol.

Any suggestions how to clean out those ears by myself and get the stuff in them and not on me and everything else? I need to clear up this infection. Her ear looks less red today after only apply salve 2 times so far and maybe I can squirt that in when she's napping lol, but the liquid cleaner.. well, she's not liking that.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I straddle Rayden, so he can't get away. then I dump in the ear cleaner with one hand and massage the ear with the other. I do it as fast as possible then stand back and let him shake. Did I mention that I only clean his ears outside????

It's his one thing that he can't tolerate. He's fine with everything else, but hates the liquid ear cleaner!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
have you tried getting her to lay on her side distracting her with some really yummy food like chicken and then getting the liquid in there?

besides what was already mentioned thats all I can think of

I had to give Sage eye drops once..I did the sneak attack when he was asleep, holding him down, have him focus on a toy or treat and sneak them in with my other hand I missed more than I got them in but eventually with lots of practice it worked :)

good luck

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I gave Bo peanut butter on a bone to lick. The worked fast.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Bribery and patience! Steak, or whatever is her favorite treat. I clean my dog's ears once a week to prevent the infection. At first, I had to put his collar and leash on him, and step on the leash - insist he sit - hold the treat in front of his nose and aim wtih the ear cleaner - you probably can't do this with the medication - but for the regular maintenance (I use Dr. Foster & Smith's it seems to be milder) I put some in a very small (like those used for food dye - I cleaned out one) container he's not so skittish with that - it's takes patience - the dog has to get the idea that you're not going to give up. Now, I can get my Shepherd's ears cleaned in 3 minutes. I know what you're going through, I went through the ear infection routine with my Aussie - by day 3 using beef roast as the "bait" he was accepting it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I also straddle Molly and try as quick as poss! She knows she gets walkies afterwards so is much better at allowing me. Although sometimes if I squeeze too much in, she struggles when I do the other ear. The vets told me its much easier with 2 people, but like you I dont have that option :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just tell chewy "mama needs to clean your ear(s) now" and he flattens them out and walks away...so i get him hold him kiss and talk to him then I quickly dump the solution in and step away so he can shake his head and give me dirty looks. lol them mama gives him treats to make up for the mean thing she just did.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Sadie, our lab loves her ears cleaned. I dip a cotton ball in mineral oil and twist it around until they come out clean. The tricks seems to be not to do it too gently because that just tickles them. If I do it just firm enough to feel like a massage, she loves it and does her happy groans. :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hahah. I really think she's rocking some seasonal allergies. The other ear looked funky, but she's been inside for a week, cool weather and spay kept her less active, and her ears are a lot more fleshy colored. She's got a bit of a rash where they shaved her, not sure it's all over her or just there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts