German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone thinks beamer is a boy, excluding dh & i (obviously) & a few other people. even family members call her a "he" on accident. i'm on a search for a bright pink collar, but since her neck fur is so heavy it will probably be covered over.

does anyone else with female dogs have this problem? im so irritated by it.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
It never bothered me if people refer to my dog either as a he or she, whether it applied or not.

My previous dog was a cutsy spaniel mix that everyone refered to as "she".

And Keeta is a serious looking bitch who raises her leg and marks territory. People keep refering to her as "he". Sure, I correct people, but it doens't bother me if they get it wrong.

I don't think that dogs have "gender identity" in the same way we do. Our gender identity is mostly cultural, so tied to emotional values. For dogs, the gender differences are probably mostly hormonal, so behaviourally driven, but not learned differences.

Though I did get Keeta a pink collar, so I'm guilty of anthropomorphizing too!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
People confuse Mya for a boy all the time. "he's so handsome" "hes such a good boy" LOL Guess it doesnt help that SHE wears a blue collar huh?! I really dont mind, most people make assumptions by collar color, or just familiarity to their own he/she. I doubt everyone who comments on your he/she will take a peek to be sure they've got it right! LOL Dont let it bother you, polietly correct them and move on. My mom gets all worked up that Mya looks like aboy and i should get her a pink collar or leash so people wont get her confused. I asked why it made a difference, will people approach her more if shes a girl, or judge her differently? When people give us compliments, even if they say he is such a great dog, i thank them and move on. Theyre not complmenting her only because she is a girl or boy, but on her behavior and overall look.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
It hasn't bothered me either.

My actor female border collie almost always played a male role on TV. I even had to teach her to hump and to raise her leg as if marking.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I do hear a lot of people refer to Freyja as a male, like "Oh wow he's so well behaved!" I don't take offense to it at all. I just smile warmly (because my dog was just complimented) and say something like "yeah she is."

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, i guess it irritates me most when its people that i know, who see beamer a lot. im sure it doesnt help that she too has been wearing a blue collar & her name is kind of boyish

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Originally Posted By: chelslol, i guess it irritates me most when its people that i know, who see beamer a lot.
I think it might just be a habit. A person has a male dog, or knows someone who does, and gets into the habit of refering to dogs as "he". My first dog was a male, and I did get into the "he" habit, even after getting a female!

With my spaniel mix, when people asked, "What is her name?", I would just smile and answer: " Her name is William!" Which aways got a sheepish laugh out of the person asking the question.
I never got upset, it was fun to catch them off guard like that (yes! I'm EVIL).

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I get it all the time with Morgan. Maybe it doesn't help she has a unisex name. I usually just say 'Yeah she's a good girl'

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I hear it a lot with Kayla too. Can't be bothered by it - Seems people equate gender more to size.

Originally Posted By: chelsi'm on a search for a bright pink collar, but since her neck fur is so heavy it will probably be covered over.
Try this site - they have a variety of collars and you can get them a little wider so the hiding in the fur isn't a problem.

http://www.fidosfashioncollars.com/home

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Everett54 Seems people equate gender more to size.
That is how it seems to me too. Big dogs are always male. Small dogs and cats are female.

·
Super Moderator
6,270 Posts
i was thinking of starting a similar topic. my female has always gotten it. she actually has very feminine features but i think her color throws people off. they see a big black german shepherd and automatically think its a big mean male. (she's 90lbs 27 inches bi color)

the funny think is that now that i have a boy - he's about 15lbs lighter, 2 inches smaller and a coat - so compared to him she looks even more like a guy, which makes him of course the girl.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
People always thought Lucky was male (the gender neutral name didn't help) and Shania was female (which she is, but when she has long fur or a coat on, how do they know).

I've notices more larger and "non-social" breeds and small short haired breeds (Pugs, MinPins, Chis) tend to get lumped into the males-only club while small breeds with long hair (Shih Tzus, Maltese, Poodles) and larger gregarious breeds are all female.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Everyone thought Nina was a male too-she is kind of a masculine looking girl, I guess, plus black. Then when she got sick, I had a psychotic shopping break and bought her a collar from here: http://www.2houndsdesign.com/ that is all red roses and really fancy-and big-so everyone sees it. Now everyone says how pretty she is! It's funny-it also seems to have made her a little less intimidating to people. The quality is really nice and I got the one that has the buckle and the martingale. She only wears it on outings.
I think it's nice for an older female dog-her vet called it a Phantom of the Opera collar.
http://www.2houndsdesign.com/A-Rose-is-a-Rose-is-a-Rose-pr-434.html

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Abby usually gets called a male as well. I don't really mind it and I don't correct people, but if they make small talk, I will use the correct gender when I answer them, of course.

"What's his name?"
"Her name is Abby."
"Oh, it's a girl!"

The only people that really get under my skin are the ones who refer to dogs as "it", like people who ask, "What's its name?" or make comments about someone's dog while they're within earshot, like, "Let's cross the road. I don't want it to jump on me / look in my general direction / breathe near me." You can usually tell that the people who use "it" either don't like animals or are afraid of them, in my experience.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Basu was the only dog I ever had who didn't get called the opposite sex from what they were. I walked him with a hot pink collar but there was no mistaking him for a female.

Rafi wears a turquoise collar and because he is young and is still filling out, people call him she all of the time. I usually just say, "Yep, he's a good boy." and when people apologize I say, "That's alright, he doesn't care."

The dogs definitely don't care so why should I? It actually irritates me that we assign gender to our dogs with the pink collars and all that. I had never seen a pastel pink collar before and now it seems every fourth dog is wearing one! Animals don't have gender--it's a human social construct! Next thing it will be nail polish for females or something.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
There are many people who don't even know what gender their own dog is so it is of no surprise that people get the gender wrong for someone else's dog. Unless it is obvious, I can't say I'd always guess right either and I don't want to be "bopping around" trying to see a dog's genitals just not to offend an owner if I get it wrong.

My GSD/Border Collie mix was named "Cisco" (even though she was female) just because I liked the name and I was put on the spot to name her - she was called Cissy a lot too.

Both Cisco and Quynne (also female) have been referred to as "He" and sometimes I correct and others I don't.

I understand why it is annoying but I do think people with an interest in your dog need to be encouraged even if they get the gender wrong - the dog does not care either way and I think that is a good example to follow.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yes I have this problem but it doesn't irritate me. If something as simple as that starts to bother me I may have some deeper seated issues to work out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts