German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I realize that the general public isn't the most knowledgable about dogs and specific breeds but lately I have gotten a lot of "She is going to be huge" comments about Willow. And then Wednesday night in CGC class we were practicing greeting strangers and dogs and an older lady asked me how old she was and I said 18 months. She said "Oh, she is going to be a big one" and then another lady (who did not hear what the older lady said) looked at her feet and said "OMG, her paws are huge. She is going to be a big dog".
So as I said, Willow is 18 months. I would guess she weighs no more than 65 lbs. She was weighed just before Christmas at the vet and she was only 58 but she has definitely gained a bit since, not much though. I really don't care if she will be "huge" but I kind of assumed she was maxed our for size. Do females grow or fill out much more after 18 months? I am attaching a few photos-- none are great but all are recent.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got Sasha when she was 10 weeks old, she is now 5 years. I swear her paws came full size, and the pup had to grow in to them. Same goes for her "Gene Simmons" tongue too!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am no expert by any definition, but looking at your pictures, she looks like she is as "tall" as she is going to get, but will fill out more. I am **guessing** maybe 15-20 pounds more. Her front paws do look very long in that picture, could just be the angle of the shot. But I think she looks great, and will look even better when she gets fully past that lanky teenage stage.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I got that all the time when Anna was a puppy "That's gonna be a big dog!!"

Well duh? Really? You mean I didn't get a Yorkie?!?! ;)

Anna was really lanky until about two...she's tall, but starting to fill out more. Willow is very pretty!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I get those comments about saber ALL the time! "She is gonna be HUGE!" Although I don't expect her to be. I'd guess she will hit 65 pounds maybe as an adult which is not huge at all.

I think the HUGE ears on our dogs throw people off :)

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
At 18 months old I doubt she'll add 15-20 pounds. Halo only added about 2 pounds between then and now - she turned 2 on November 9th.

If Willow is 65 pounds now, I'd expect her to be around 70 or so as an adult.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 18 months old I doubt she'll add 15-20 pounds. Halo only added about 2 pounds between then and now - she turned 2 on November 9th.

This is what I thought as well. Even when she was an itty bitty pup I went back and forth with my neighbor who insisted she would be 100 lbs! I told him no, she should be about 65-75, no more.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get those comments about saber ALL the time! "She is gonna be HUGE!" Although I don't expect her to be. I'd guess she will hit 65 pounds maybe as an adult which is not huge at all.

I think the HUGE ears on our dogs throw people off :)
Ah, the big ears! My friend always used to tease Willow in her younger days about picking up satellite frequencies with her ears. GSD ears are soooo cute :wub:

·
Registered
41 Posts

Well, you probably know better than I, and thinking on it, 70-80 would probably be just right anyway. In the end, it does not matter, she is beautiful, and as long as she is healthy, happy and loved, that is the most important thing.

·
Registered
254 Posts

I second this. Beautiful dog by the way!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I think alot of folks claim the GSD is a huge dog because they compare them to their pocket pooches. My GSD is a big dog, but he isn't a huge monster dog - unless of course he is running towards you at 100 miles an hour full of piss and vinegar...then he is a monster dog...

·
Registered
481 Posts
I get that all the time about Bentley. I'll bet there hasn't been one single person who has seen him that hasn't commented on how big he will be. His paws ARE huge, and I really have no clue how big he will end up being though.

Your girl looks a lot like my Oskar, tall and lanky with big/long paws. His nickname is thunderpaws, cause you can always hear him coming!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I agree. You haven't seen a huge dog until you see something like my best friends Newfie/St. Bernard mix. In his prime he weighed about 195 lbs, although I think he is down to a slimmer 175! Totally slobber monster but total sweetheart of a dog.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
If she weighed 58 around Christmas time I would be very surprised if she weighs much more than 60 now. My dog has a slender build and she has remained at 66 for at least 6 months and she is 20 months old.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Triad is 11 weeks everyone says the same thing and they are shocked on his giant paws. took him to the vet earlier this week he weighed in at 21 lbs Dr said he gains about 3/4 lb a day since the last visit at 11.5 lbs

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Nara was about 62 lbs at 11 months when she got spayed. She grew to be 25.5" and filled out to 88 lbs by 2 years old. From 1 year to 2 years old, she was gaining about 1-2 lbs a month. We were always told that her paws were huge and that she would be a big girl, and I guess she is a bit, since she's over the breed standard. But it's funny, because when we're out with her, most people are used to oversized GSDs and we're constantly told that she's tiny. She is West German bloodlines, and I think everyone else is used to the American lines. Nara is shorter and stockier, but solid muscle, and I know that muscle weighs more than fat, so she's heavy, but looks small.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
my dog weighs 77 lbs at 13 months i wonder if she is going to get bigger? I thought our dogs stop growing after a year? I hope my dog is not a mutant lol

Maybe her belgum lines make her mature faster? IDK but a gsd that is too big can be bad on hips i hear. Hopefully she does not grow the way counters dog did lol

american lines are lighter i think but much longer and taller so they seem much bigger than our european dogs? no?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts