German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, aside from my new member introduction. I have a heart-wrenching situation with my 3 year old German Shepherd mix (father is full GS). He weighs 92 lbs. Sherman has a seizure disorder, and currently gets 324 mg phenobarbitol, 3,000 mg potassium bromide, and 200 mg zonisimide daily. When seizing, which happened one day every 4-6 weeks, with clusters of seizures, he gets 40 mg valium tablets every 6-8 hours for several days following the seizures. This dosage of meds have reduced the seizures to 2 rather than 4 or 5. The vet says that his is a hard case to control. A vet neurologist recommended this and an increase in zonisimide. With the dosage increase (or possibly brain damage??), Sherman is uncoordinated at times, falling and bumping into things. At other times, he seems fine, even athletic. It pains me to see him in such a compromised state.

I'm on disability for depression and anxiety, (worse since his epilepsy) and am single, with no help financially or with Sherman's care. He's a big boy, and I'm 57. I began an online fundraising effort to help with his meds, which cost over $150 a month (not including bloodwork). It's at giveforward.com/shermansepilepsy. Thanks to some extremely generous angels, I have enough money to take us through December. I'm forced to consider re-homing, if I could find people with the means and the love to take Sherman. Otherwise, euthanasia is the only other solution, which would be devastating. Sherman is a fabulous dog, sweet, likes people and other dogs, is funny and playful, loves life. I'm trying to figure out what I can do for income. I'm an artist and former social worker. However, my anxiety has impeded my efforts to work. I'm continually trying to manage it through a variety of tools. I'm sorry for such a long post, and kudos to you if you've read this far. Sherman has never spent time away from me, other than 2 nights in a vet hospital. I called my local shelter for input, and was told that they would euthanize him, as there are so many healthy pets needing homes. So, the local shelter isn't an option. Does anyone have ideas about inexpensive treatment, ways to expand the fundraising campaign, or re-homing to find a safe and very loving, dedicated home? I realize that I'm asking for a lot here. I'll be posting pics of Sherman. I'm in Western Mass.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog. That's an incredibly huge amount of meds it's going to take it's toll on him. If I were you I would seriously look into his diet. There are several members on canine-epilepsy.com that swear by a raw diet.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog. That's an incredibly huge amount of meds it's going to take it's toll on him. If I were you I would seriously look into his diet. There are several members on canine-epilepsy.com that swear by a raw diet.
Kiya, you read my mind, I was thinking of diet also.

My daughter had seizures as a child and to avoid taking some meds with more serious side effects her doctor tried gabapentin. The side effects are relatively mild, I don't know how often it's used in veterinary medicine. It should not be expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts