German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my dogs, an 8 year old rescued shep/border collie/?? has a few fatty tumors along his sides and back. When they first appeared, I took him to the vet and he said it was a soft, movable mass filled with fat. That has been over two years ago and we've had no problems although he has developed a few more(maybe 6 total). I recently changed his food and some of the tumors have actually disappeared. I have heard of this before in a friend's dog. The food he's on now is a basic Purina formula. My question is:
Is there a more holistic food that would be better for him? He gets itchy skin, but besides the little fat pockets that's about it. I've seen him eating grass the past few days which leads me to believe I also need something for GI health. I'm also open to supplements since I am looking for something to aid in anxiety in my puppy as well as my rescued shepx.

I am also looking for a urinary health maintenance food for my gsd pup. I posted on the puppy forum:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/161894-best-food-urinary-health.html

I know this is quite a bit for one post so any help with any of the issues above would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hello. :)

I believe there are plenty of foods on the market that will suit your dogs' needs. If i were you, I would check out this site: www.dogfoodanalysis.com and pick the highest quality but best food for your dogs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update...

Thank you both for replying. I have changed his diet to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish. So far, it seems to be doing ok but I will definitely be watching to see if they get worse. They have actually begun to shrink and a few of the smaller ones are completely gone. Since starting him on this diet, the original lump that I found a few years ago has also started to shrink. He has also pepped up a good bit and enjoys his meals. He's only been on the food for a few days but I think it was the food I had him on originally that was causing so many problems. Hopefully he will continue to do well with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts