German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 8 week old pup from a local private person about six weeks ago. The pups were supposedly "Boxer-Sheppard" Mixes. I saw the mom and she looked more like a black Lab to me.

As our baby is growing... her coloring is tan all over, her snout is black and she is developing a black ring around her neck (fur). Her ears are sort of floppy and she has a long tan colored tail with a black tip. She looks more and more like a Sheppard and at 12 weeks already weighs 22 pounds! (We weighed her today)

No, I do not feed her excessively. She eats all-natural puppy food three times a day and gets plenty of exercise.

I'm just wondering - how BIG is our girl going to get? It's not an issue but I'd like to be prepared for size, food, space and walking/exercise requirements.

I cannot get a hold of the lady I bought her from any longer, so I hope to get some help here...

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Could be a lab shepherd. Welcome to the board. And we will need pictures or your little girl.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Shepherd, not "sheppard."

Your pup is just a hair under the female average for that size. She could be around 60-70 lbs fully grown but that is a VERRRRRY rough estimate! You have a good idea of how large mom was but who knows about dad.
She could explode in size or she could be an easily managed and agile 50 lbs.

Exercise requirements... in a nutshell, this is a very ACTIVE breed, mentally AND physically. Start looking for puppy classes and then training classes now. Check into clicker training for a fun and easy way to train all sorts of behaviors besides the usual "sit down come" commands. You'll find that joining this board will be a huge help as you can peruse the forums and find TONS of information on diet suggestions (a lot of us don't even feed puppy food at all), finding a good trainer/class, housebreaking pointers, and support for when the pup eats half the house (as well as crate training information
).

Welcome to the board! We need pics.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
What a cutie! Shepherd mix.
Mom might have been boxer x lab or a not very well bred boxer. Sometimes I see hints of boxer in her and sometimes hints of lab. Please continue to post photos as she grows! Is her name Indie?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I named her Indie because I love Indie Music and Movies. Thought it was appropriate and it fits her somehow.

She is a cutie. We are working on training her how to walk on the leash without dragging me along. It took me 30 minutes to go around the park today with the stop and starts. Plus, loads of other people were walking their dogs so it was very distracting for her.

She is very submissive though. If I get mad she instantly just stops and pees herself. I don't want to "rule" out of anger so I hope to be able to untrain her on that one. But sheesh..she chewed up my favorite pair of shoes while my son was doing...Lord knows what.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Mixes are hard to tell. Since you saw the mother you at least have that part down (as to what she looked like anyway). If the "breeders" knew the pop, then that's another clue.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
She's just beautiful, whatever her parents looked like!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Breeders" told me Daddy-O was a full Shep. Obviously I can't verify this but the older Indie gets, the more I tend to believe it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereMixes are hard to tell. Since you saw the mother you at least have that part down (as to what she looked like anyway). If the "breeders" knew the pop, then that's another clue.
The mother looked like a mottled colored Lab. I saw no Boxer in her - at ALL. So... I think I have to do some genetic testing. lol

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: Gina ColoniaYes, I named her Indie because I love Indie Music and Movies. Thought it was appropriate and it fits her somehow.

She is a cutie. We are working on training her how to walk on the leash without dragging me along. It took me 30 minutes to go around the park today with the stop and starts. Plus, loads of other people were walking their dogs so it was very distracting for her.

She is very submissive though. If I get mad she instantly just stops and pees herself. I don't want to "rule" out of anger so I hope to be able to untrain her on that one. But sheesh..she chewed up my favorite pair of shoes while my son was doing...Lord knows what.
Sounds like a typical puppy. They like to chew. They don't know what's appropriate to chew and what isn't. If you want to get mad because she chewed something then get out a newspaper and hit yourself over the head...for forgetting to supervise her.
Crates are great and so are baby gates when you can't watch her.

Do you have any books on positive dog training? For puppies it works best to ignore the "bad" behavior (because they really don't know any better) and reward the good behavior. That way they learn really quickly what you want from them! If she's a submissive pee-er then you want to be sure to keep things low key, not get angry around her, set up successes in training and be consistent and set clear boundaries for her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really don't try to get angry around her at all. I come home from work and she goes Ballistic! I ignore her until she's calmed down and then I spend time with her.

She has loads of toys and chewy things to occupy her jaws but still seeks out my shoes! That is what I don't understand?

I give her treats when she walks on the leash without dragging or backflipping or jumping (she does all those!lol). It's been a CHALLENGE!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
if you are feeding something labelled just puppy food, many of those are not designed for slower growth, which is what you want. many adult foods are more suitable for large breed puppies, as are most foods labelled "large breed puppy".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am feeding her puppy food especially designed for larger breed dogs: with flaxseed, loads of herbs and veggies. My last dog (before she passed away) had a very diverse diet of veggies (she loved carrots and grean beans!) and lamb and veal meat - all very lean and digestible.

I would NEVER give my dog anything she is not ready to eat/digest or anything else.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
She's absolutely adorable. I agree with other posters that she very likely has some Boxer in her. She's very pretty.

Regarding food, make sure to check out the nutrition sections on this board. There is a ton of information on a lot of different diets - commercial, homemade, and raw - out there you might find helpful, even if you already know a lot about the subject.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts