German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So on sunday I gave Shenzi a chicken quarter without the drumstick. I took most of the meat off the bones and only gave her a small peice of bone. On monday I gave her a bully stick. Monday at 1am I awoken to whines and cries of mommy I have to poo. So I bring her outside, and she has green liquid/pudding poo. For 14 hours she had pudding/liquid poo.

She is acting herself, zoomying and acting her normal Shenzi self except sometimes she pauses and goes 'o man I HAVE TO GO. NOW.' and then she has to go, and now. I gave her some pumpkin before I went to work and the bf came home at lunch to let her out where her poo was orange from the pumpkin but still running/pudding.

She is eating her dinner now and is still acting herself except for the pudding poo. I also caught her have 2 unsuccessful poos where nothing came out. So I'm assuming she's constipated and gave her more pumpkin.

Shes had both bully sticks and chicken before(just not in this amount, and not the bone) She's drinking water and keeping hydrated.

Its been 15 hours now and I'm praying one of you can tell me that an obstruction would rear its ugly head by now.

We all know how much I :wub: heart Shenzi but I cannot afford 6 000 for surgery to save her life. I just paid 2 000 for the cat to save his life and it is truely a matter of I do not have the money, not that I wouldn't pay it.

Can everyone cheer for Shenzi to :poop: please?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I think if it's a partial obstruction then it may or may not. if it is a partial obstruction, I've heard feeding is actually a good thing because it can help push it out. How long has it been since she went?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Does she eat raw normally or is she a kibble eater? If the pumpkin is passing, she probably does not have an obstruction. When she was doing the I have to go, that is normal for diarrhea dogs. THere is nothing left to come out, but the urge is still there.

Many times over feeding raw with not much bone can cause runny poops. I think the bully stick was probably the topping to the situation, though.
The Honest Kitchen makes a canned remedy called Perfect form Pet Nutrition Supplement | Pet Digestive Track Support | Perfect Form | The Honest Kitchen
It has slippery elm and other ingredients to soothe the digestive tract. I would put her on a cooked chicken and rice diet for a few days along with that. If she starts barfing, rest her digestive tract for at least 12 hours and no water either.
edit, I just looked at the link, and this thread is front and center...wow! after only a few minutes

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She went about an hour ago, and she is fed TOTW but it is my wish to feed her raw. I think if I do decide to feed raw after this I'll be getting a grinder. It was a 'treat' since shes been so good lately...she's also allergic to grains so I can't give her rice:( well, i could but would have to deal with a pyroderma outbreak afterwards...:(

She ate her dinner, most of it anyways. I think she doesn't like pumpkin and thats why she's leaving it alone. I'm going out to see if she'll poo now. Poor girl:(
Thanks for the swift replies

ETA I say she doesn't like it because she will eat her TOTW without it but did go back and finish the pumpkin/kibble after she ate a tinmy amount of just kibble

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
LOL It took Jax a long time to eat pumpkin too. :)

Months before I decided to feed Jax RAW, I gave her a turkey neck as a 'treat'. She had explosive diarrhea while we were gone at work and she was in her crate. However, when I started her on RAW and fed her appropriate portions, she had no problems at all.

If it makes you more comfortable to grind, then by all means do it but really it's more like her systems just wasn't used to it and the proportions where correct.

I think Jane is most probably correct in what is happening right now. You can give her boiled chicken and potatoes (sweet preferably) or green beans. Just something light on her stomach light on her stomach.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update: She had a bowel movement, although it was pudding. Thank you Jax, I will get her some sweet potato. Do I just slice it and give it to her? Or should I boil them a little beforehand? I think you are right in that this is my fault. I should have been more thoughtful past 'Hey, I bet she'll love this!'

Jeez, I thought I was past making stupid mistakes!

Edit: I just changed her from the TOTW pacific stream to the TOTW high prairie(bison) Horsegirl is having the same issues as me(I think). I was told the TOTW was interchangable, and didn't do much of a switch. O dear!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
How old is Shenzi? If she's a puppy then she shouldn't be on TOTW. Calcium levels are to high.

Boil and mash, mix with chicken. :) You can use white potato too if that's all you have right now. You just need to get her past the upset stomach.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's 3 Dec.25 :) I should have never changed her food so quickly and didn't even recognize it could be the TOTW until horsegirl brought it to my attention. I'm sure the chicken is playing a part as well...poor girl! Thanks everyone, will continue to monitor and make sure she's not throwing up or showing other signs of a medical emergency.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're back at it again folks. Anyone want to keep me company while I take care of my sick doggie? She didnt eat anything other than her dinner this time and I never gave her any treats. BF said she ate some snow earlier(which I don't let her do) so I'm really not sure why she's sick.
I'm going to fast her until about 8-9pm(it is 3:30am now) and give her boiled sweet potato and chicken...

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm Shenzi isn't feeling well again. :(

It sucks when our furbabies are sick.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
agreed. poor baby is sleeping. The thing that gets me confused is she's still relativly normal. Even had zoomies outside inbetween 'poops'...:( I'm switching back to the salmon formula when this bag of high prarie is over. Its been nothing but grief....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts