German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some back story. One of my best friends (honorary adopted sister) got pregnant in high school and pretty much kept her son away from ALL dogs so he's actually terrified of them. Kaleb will be 8 in May. Well my sister is getting married in early february to a fabulous guy. Couldnt imagine why they didnt date sooner! Anyway, they came out for a visit a few weeks ago and Kaleb (who is also my god son) saw Shelby and for some reason he wasnt afraid of her but he's still terrified of Riley and Shasta. Well apparently, they connected so much Kaleb couldnt stop talking about Shelby all the way home and still cant. He's asked if he could call today to see how Shelby was doing and was telling me how he wishes he could have a dog exactly like Shelby. He was so excited just to hear that she's doing well i think he bounced out of his skin a couple of times!

Shelby has opened up a great deal since we brought her home but she hasn't really connected with any of us. She's great with kids, loves giving kisses to my daughter and my son. My son is more laid back and reserved with the dogs so Shelby goes up to him very slowly slurping at him until she makes contact and he bursts into giggles the minute that tongue hits him. But when Kaleb was here... she was absolutely amazing. She followed him around EVERYWHERE and totally ignored commands and she doesnt ignore me. I dont know how else to explain except they just had an instant connection. Well after talking to kaleb's mom and her fiancee, its been decided that Shelby will be going to live with them next year after they get settled at their new duty station. In the meantime, Shelby is here with us, continuing her leash training, command reliability, and just general manners. Shelby is basically going to be Kaleb's surprise birthday present.

So Shelby has certainly made an impression. Kaleb was a child who would almost go into hysterics when he was younger whenever a dog was in the same house that he was in. I think he is going to be very excited to learn she'll be theirs next year. I honestly think that Shelby came to us, simply because we lead to where she's really supposed to be. I'm so excited!!! This is great! Kaleb's soon to be step dad also has GSD experience so another plus though Shelby, as far as shepherds go would be a pretty decent first timer dog. yay! :D

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's so heart warming :). I love stories like that!

What kind of dog is Shelby?

Shelby is an american showline GSD. I adopted her from an abusive home and she needed pretty good deal of work before she could even function normally on walks. Everything scared her. She'd never seen a cat before but ignores them now. She's come a long way. This is her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts