German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it`s been in the 90`s here on long island and i`ve noticed SALEEN is shedding more than usual anyone notice this....she can sit in the kitchen or where ever and you can just go up to her and pull hair ..

·
Registered
624 Posts
it`s been in the 90`s here on long island and i`ve noticed SALEEN is shedding more than usual anyone notice this....she can sit in the kitchen or where ever and you can just go up to her and pull hair ..
You need a Furminator - spend an hour grooming your GSD - you'll be surprised how much dead undercoat you'll remove in a session! And after that furminate your dog once a week to keep the shedding to a minimum! :D

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hot here too, my boy just got through blowing his coat, I picked up enough daily to make a small dog also.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Thank you for posting this lol I've been going crazy wondering what's wrong with my dog. I brush him out in the morning and by the afternoon he's leaving a trail of hair wherever he goes. This is my first german shepherd can you tell lol

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You need a Furminator - spend an hour grooming your GSD - you'll be surprised how much dead undercoat you'll remove in a session! And after that furminate your dog once a week to keep the shedding to a minimum! :D
Two schools of thought here. Some say have at the Furminator as much as you like, some say the Furminator cuts guard hairs a bit too much. I use it sparingly after I give a good post-coat-blow Furminator session. Learn to live with the fur as German Shedders set the standard high for shedding, like they do everything else.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use a curry comb made for horses daily on Diesel he still sheds like crazy but I get at least a ankle biter of fur out of him daily and he LOVES it... Rolls around like crazy and "smiles"

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
I live nowhere near long island, but my dog was shedding hairs copiously last two weeks. Europe is too, after cold rainy June, Britain is suffocating in a sultry sauna. Some people believe it has something to do with harmful sun emanations besides the heat, their dogs shed their hairs profusely.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Two schools of thought here. Some say have at the Furminator as much as you like, some say the Furminator cuts guard hairs a bit too much. I use it sparingly after I give a good post-coat-blow Furminator session. Learn to live with the fur as German Shedders set the standard high for shedding, like they do everything else.
Once a week is enough. The Furminator is designed to remove ONLY undercoat hair - the dead hair that's shedding! It leaves the top coat in place. When autumn arrives, the undercoat will begin growing in again for the winter. GSDs constantly shed but they really begin to blow their coat in time for the summer.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Learn to live with the fur as German Shedders set the standard high for shedding, like they do everything else.
I have a St. Bernard/Mal mix that will call that! She sheds more than the GSD, the Himalayan, and both boxers.

I give up. I"m going to buy a Metro Air Force blower and blow them out once a week. It's just nuts. Hot/Cold/Hot/Cold...they don't know whether to blow it or grow it this year.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
I think for the money the furminator costs, you could get a Zoom Groom, a rake and a deshedding blade in the equine section of Tractor Supply. I'm not nearly as impressed with the Furminator as some.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
The following is my patented Furminator spiel:

The thing to remember with the Furminator is to use a light touch, like you are just petting the dog with it. You don't need to use a lot of pressure; keep your wrist relaxed and just let the tool do the work. Don't go over one spot for too long, and be extra careful over any bony areas. 5-10 minutes of Furminating once or twice a week is plenty. If you over-furminate, you may end up with bald spots or skin irritation. You definitely can remove more hair than you mean to if you aren't careful!

You will hear people say that the Furminator "ruins" the coat. This is not true if you use it properly. I'm a professional groomer, and I use the Furminator all the time with NO coat damage whatsoever. It is not designed to cut hair, only to grab the loose hairs while allowing the live hair to slide through undamaged.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts