German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone have a suggestion for hardwood floors on how to keep my black and tan GSD's shed hairs to a minimum...

Would a vacuum, sweeper or other attachment/device be suffice....

I am sweeping at least twice a day and my analness just frustates me when I see more dog hairs on the ground as soon as I finish sweeping/mopping and picking up doggie hairs....

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Krymedogg
Keizer, Oregon

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Lower your standards. :)

You could try brushing your dog more, use a Furminator once every couple-three weeks, brush daily with a regular brush. I've heard some people with their dogs on a raw diet say that they don't shed as much.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I have hardwood too. Wolfie is black and red, and I see the hairs all over. I sweep and right after I sweep I use a swiffer. I love the swiffer for the dog hairs. I also use the furmintor on him once a week, and brush every day.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Lower your standards. :)
That's pretty much all you can do!
We have no carpets either, have central vac, swiffers, dust mops, roomba, regular brooms... nothing works because we have no carpets for it to stick into.
One thing that helps is to put a humidifier in your house. In the winter months static cling makes it harder to clean up (and brush out).

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
We use a shop vac...works great!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Since putting my dog on Orijen her shedding has reduced to almost nothing, except in the spring when she is dropping her winter coat.
We went to Sears and got a Shark sweeper. It's light, has a rechargable battery and we keep it handy. Don't have to break out the heavy vacuum.

Forgot to add ..... we also lowered our standards. ;-)

·
Registered
74 Posts
You're in an icy, uphill battle. Furminator once every week or 2 and brushing them often helps. But the breed sheds year round, and they have a ton of hair! Sweep away :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
our house is half carpet and half wood floors (eventually next year we're getting all wood floor except the stairs and upstairs) we vacuum every other day or at least once a week, and we swiffer our wood floors. My GSD sheds all year round, but with daily brushing it's not too bad.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is why we didn't put in hardwood when we bought our house 7 years ago...I have areas where the hair collects so I use a mini pet vacuum (it was about $30.bucks and is a dream on the stairs! Shedding will vary from dog to dog, Bella hardly shredds but Mia has large amounts.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Really you just have to get used to it. It used to bother me more, but now I just expect to see tumbleweeds of fur floating around (and I vacuum every other day - not doing it every day anymore!). Besides, it's just fur. I actually love having my wood floors (we have the fake stuff) because the hair mostly collects around the base board and I just suck it up with the vacuum.

We also brush brush brush the dogs. Tanner is shedding like crazy right now because he's still loosing his puppy fluff. Minnie only sheds her topcoat hairs unless she's blowing coat (2xs a year). Can't wait for Tanner to get to that stage!

I also find it funny that I don't mind if I find dog hair in my food (I just pick it out), but I FREAK out if I find human hair in it when we're out to eat. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Really you just have to get used to it. It used to bother me more, but now I just expect to see tumbleweeds of fur floating around (and I vacuum every other day - not doing it every day anymore!). Besides, it's just fur. I actually love having my wood floors (we have the fake stuff) because the hair mostly collects around the base board and I just suck it up with the vacuum.

We also brush brush brush the dogs. Tanner is shedding like crazy right now because he's still loosing his puppy fluff. Minnie only sheds her topcoat hairs unless she's blowing coat (2xs a year). Can't wait for Tanner to get to that stage!

I also find it funny that I don't mind if I find dog hair in my food (I just pick it out), but I FREAK out if I find human hair in it when we're out to eat. :)

How old is Tanner? Just wondering cause my pup isn't shedding at all? I read someones post about being on Orijen and not shedding, that's what I feed but I think she will lose her pup coat as she ages?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the Wonderful World of the GSD !!! Buy a good vacuum with lots of attachments ... :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
We use the furminator as well, and boy if we dont...you can tell :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, my puppy is just 16 weeks old so I dont have too much experiance with them but I have noticed that brushing him every night does the trick:) Hes a mediun haired puppy I guess and he is Black/Tan color too. So what I do is..brush him, then lock him i nhis crate for few minutes and while he is in there I sweep and mop, once the floors dry up, release him:) He has been brushed! so not much hair:) Hope that helps sweetie! Hugs! Good luck!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I have a shop vac permanently stationed in the living room. Really, what's a bit of dog hair lying about here and there? I don't know of any great harm it does. After all these years, I hardly notice it. To think of no dog hair lying about on the hardwood makes me sad as it would mean we no longer had GSDs.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
they shed. there's nothing you can do about it.
brush the dog and clean the house. have you looked
under the sofa, under the bed, the corner of the closets,
behind the refrigerator, behind the dressers, :). lots of times i collect the fur and release it outside for the birds.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I actually vacuum the dogs directly. I use the brush attachment on the vacuum's hose, and just brush them with it! None of my dogs disliked being vacuumed, and it gets rid of a lot of fur before it ends up on the floor. :D

·
Registered
818 Posts
My dogs get a good quality food and as a result really don't shed too badly. I brush every few days, vacuum every few days and haven't been too bothered with hair everywhere. I also accept the fact that they're known as "German shedders" for a reason. ;)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
GSDs shed a lot and some shed even more than others, depending on the coat. My raw fed GSDs even shed a lot, so I'm a bit skeptical of any food that supposedly makes GSDs "barely shed".

You have some options to reduce the amount of hair in your household. Probably the best for you would be to schedule your dog to go to a professional groomer's every 6-8 weeks. Try to find a groomer who has a Hydrosurge or other recirculating bathing system because IME those help loosen the undercoat. Tell the groomer that you'd like as much of the loose undercoat out as possible with each visit. If you keep up with the regular schedule of professional grooming, you should see a minimum of hair in your household in between. The bathing system and the high force dryers allow groomers to get much more hair out of your dog in a hour or two than you would get with days of brushing.

The second option would be to try to find a self pet wash and DIY, however you may not as good of results. Also you could buy a really good high force dryer and try ti DIY at home. However, such dryers are quite pricey and again, you may not get as good of results.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts