German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl will be six months old in 17 days and I've yet to have a single problem with shedding, despite the breed being known as "German shedders", but I'm expecting that her first blow out will hit me out of nowhere soon and bury me in a mountain of fur. Should I expect her to start shedding soon?

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Winter is coming... Go ahead and order a furminator off amazon they are like $15, and get your vacuum ready.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dang, most people ask when will the shedding ever stop lol! All I can say is be careful what you ask for. In all seriousness, Kairo didn't shed for a while, and I thought man, we got lucky! Ummm no, as soon as summer hit, off it came.

x2 on the Furminator & Roomba, btw.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don't worry, it will happen ... and it will never stop, lol. A pretty accurate cliche is that GSD's shed once a year, for 365 days ... while this is true, they will generally 'blow coat' twice a year - in the spring/summer as the winter undercoat is replaced by summer, and the opposite in the fall/winter. The rest of the year they still shed though, just at a more manageable rate, lol.

Enjoy the lack of shedding while you can ... it will end soon :)

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
My long haired boy gives me handfuls of fur and hair every day. My gal is stock coat and I swear she drops it all day long so when I brush her in the evening I don't get nearly as much hair. I have to sweep it all up. My dogs are ages 4 1/2 and almost 3.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't worry, it will happen ... and it will never stop, lol. A pretty accurate cliche is that GSD's shed once a year, for 365 days ... while this is true, they will generally 'blow coat' twice a year - in the spring/summer as the winter undercoat is replaced by summer, and the opposite in the fall/winter. The rest of the year they still shed though, just at a more manageable rate, lol.

Enjoy the lack of shedding while you can ... it will end soon /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wish I could enjoy the lack of shedding, but I'm already up to my neck in husky and malamute hair, haha!

I'm prepared for whatever hair my GSD pup will throw at me. My lungs have already been infused with hair from years of inhaling husky/malamute hair. I am invinsible.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
It also happens when you want to enter your dog in a show. I have a rat-tail naked dog right now, and a dog show in 3 weeks. You do the math!

Reactions: Aly

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Never fear, it will come.../forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
LOOOOL. Nice one, Sunsilver!

When I came across your post I thought it was when will it 'stop' shedding not 'start' hahahaha.

Mine lost all the puppy coat by 7-8 months, started shedding like crazy after. And it's true, non stop. So fear not, it will come and it will STAY that way!

Invest on a good heavy duty vacuum, that's all I can say.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Lol yeah they give you a break the first year and sure make up for it. It’s been none stop all the fur- sack!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts