German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any of you have experience with kibble brands that reduced shedding in your sable GSDs.

I don't know how "normal" Willow's shedding is but I'm assuming it's normal. The vets always say her coat looks good. Springtime coat blow is always pretty epic but I figured that should be over now, yet the hair just keeps on flyin'. I like to sit there and rigorously scratch her fluffy flanks (when we're outside, haha) and it looks like a snowstorm. I brush her every couple weeks (more often when the coat blow is really crazy).

My trainer has 3 dogs (2 malinois and a GSD) and the one malinois has a coat very similar to Willow's. My trainer feeds her dogs raw and she says the shedding is really minimal. I don't understand what that means, really...they have to blow their coats, right? Does that mean it just comes out all at once, or...? Granted her dogs spend more time inside than Willow so maybe they don't develop as thick of an undercoat.

Anyway, I don't have the time or money to do raw but I try to feed Willow high-quality food, which right now is Victor Nutra Pro + part of a can of Kirkland turkey/pea wet food. If any of YOU have experience with diet changes resulting in less shedding, I'd love to hear it!

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
It’s all about the bioavailability of the nutrients, and you can see a difference between raw fed dogs and kibble fed dogs.
Hans can’t have raw, and when I put him on something dehydrated, his coat turned pale, dry and brittle, and started falling out.
Fast forward to today, I found two supplements that make his coat literally like it was when he was younger and on raw.

This stuff is a godsend, it really is. It fixed all his digestive problems, and he had problems for years and years.

Second one, I got from a forum member’s vet receipt:

It is expensive but I only need 2 capsules a day for him. Helps with old dog eyes, too, which is a bonus, and it also seemed to have helped with his skin issues.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had to change kibbles after my dog's first year and it helped. I also supplement with ground turkey or beef liver most days, and occassionally substitute the meat with fish. Made a huge difference in her coat.

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
Deja started shredding constantly after being spayed at 7 years old. Prior to that only twice a year just before her heat.
Her diet has not changed but her hormones have of course. Her coat still looks good and sleek.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
558 Posts
My girl gets brushed twice a week and when she is blowing a coat twice a day. Did you ask how often your trainer brushes their dogs.

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
Deja started shredding constantly after being spayed at 7 years old. Prior to that only twice a year just before her heat.
Her diet has not changed but her hormones have of course. Her coat still looks good and sleek.
I know Russell sheds way more than my girls. They are intact, and he was neutered when he was 3. Those hormones have a huge affect on their coats.

Reactions: banzai555
1 - 7 of 7 Posts