German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m set to pick up a puppy tomorrow that is a double coated long hair. Despite all my research I only thought there where 3 coat types. I only learned yesterday that there are two types of long hairs. I have experience with single coated long hairs and sort hairs and know what to expect from them.
Reading suggests that double coated longhairs undercoat is generally dictated by how long their Topcoat is. For example a plush has a undercoat similar to a short hair and it gets thinner as the topcoat gets longer. This is all reading in between the lines thought because I haven’t found a resource that directly address it.
Basically what can I expect for daily shedding (I know the dog is going shedded heavy twice a year). Also if anyone has some education on single coated vs double coated genetics. I’m more than a bit confused. I can’t tell you how many conflicting sources I’m finding.

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
You might want to edit your header and delete your post spelling it out then. There is actually a rule against that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've also never found a definitive answer about long coats. I believe you should just expect a lot of shedding as with most German Shepherds. Long coats can vary so much in length, texture and thickness from what I have heard from long coat owners. Share some pictures when you get him home! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,475 Posts
i’m not sure what research you’ve come across or where the confusion lies.

simply put, per standard, german shepherds are a double coated breed.

there are stock coats (which vary in texture, length & fullness), long stock coats (which vary in texture, length & fullness), and long hairs (single coat, no undercoat) which is a fault and in my opinion are too uncommon to even discuss really (are you sure you had one?)

any other terms... plush, medium, etc is merely descriptive.

how much your dog sheds depends on a variety of factors... their individual coat, age, diet/health, climate, grooming.

i’ve heard otherwise, but having had 2 of each... i have a newer preference for stock coats, however, in my experience they shed “more”. meaning i sweep and vacuum more..... as far as how much hair actually comes off of the dog during grooming, my long coats win. the difference is that their fur tends to stay on them until brushed or collect better in little tumble weeds vs scattered about.

if your puppy is a long stock coat.... texture, length & fullness is to be determined with age. if s/he has a long coated parent that will give you the best idea, if not, look at grandparents and older siblings... otherwise you're left guessing and waiting.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have experience with single coated long hairs and sort hairs and know what to expect from them.
I don't know anything re the genetics, but my doublecoated dog blows his coat twice per year and a lot of it is the fluffy undercoat.
If your previous dogs haven't had an undercoat, then brace yourself for at least double the fur...So much fur!!
We live through it with more frequent vacuuming, daily brushing, and lint rollers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts