German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know GSDs shed and I'm (sort of) okay with that but Shasta is suddenly shedding tons of fur. Does it seem odd that she's suddenly shedding more than she had when we're just starting to head into our cold weather? She's almost 8 months old, if that matters.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
she's probably coming into heat.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes them shed?

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
the hormones will cause them to blow coat, sometimes before a cycle or usually after. As this will be her first heat, she is probably losing coat now. Are you supplementing with oils/vitamin E? Is your home dry or do you run a humidifier? Humidity is great for all of us, and helps the home to feel warmer during the harsh winter.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the hormones will cause them to blow coat, sometimes before a cycle or usually after. As this will be her first heat, she is probably losing coat now. Are you supplementing with oils/vitamin E? Is your home dry or do you run a humidifier? Humidity is great for all of us, and helps the home to feel warmer during the harsh winter.
Ugh, I didn't even think about it causing shedding. As if being in heat isn't hassle enough! Yes, we're supplementing with fish oil/vitamin E. Her coat looks great, it's just falling out at an astounding rate. I live in Western Washington; no need for humidifiers here, lol! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My girlfriend's lab did the same thing she would start blowing her coat about a 2-4 weeks before she was going to go into a heat (nice indicator) but after she blew her coat she barely shedded vs the round the year that a lot of labs do.

She would come over and borrow my furminator brush..it was the best investment I made. I use it x a week on our GSD and it works wonders. It manages the hair and reduces the shedding a lot.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If it's any help, my BOY is 6 months old and shedding a lot now, too. I think it's really got alot to do with their puppy fur changing over to adult fur.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's any help, my BOY is 6 months old and shedding a lot now, too. I think it's really got alot to do with their puppy fur changing over to adult fur.
Yikes! You have much colder weather to deal with than we do...keep your baby boy warm!

·
2,967 Posts
Sounds like she's blowing her coat.

For our male dogs it usually has to do with the change in the weather, but our girl usually seems to time hers to right before her heat cycle too. She loses what looks like almost ALL of her coat. And because she's sable she's looks like an entirely different dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts