German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

So yesterday I had posted about the Furminator ( I think that is what I have ) and I thought I did a great job but geez woke up this morning and its all back, he's shedding like crazy. I had thought to send him to the groomers but afraid he will just wake up shedding like that again.

Would a groomer be able to get more of it ? I keep joking to my DH I about to shave him LOL.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, no its not the Furminator I have. I have Zoom Groom by Kong.

·
Super Moderator
9,242 Posts
recently i havent needed to (knock on wood) but with gia i used to take her to the groomer to sort of "start the season off right". they've always seemed to do a much better job than i could regardless of the tool i was using. a high powered dryer literally blows the coat for the dog followed up by the brushing that they do... i've never experienced returning to square one the next morning. it made my life so much easier to the point of being able to brush just a couple times a week.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Originally Posted By: Gyggles1I have Zoom Groom by Kong.
We have one too and although it does an okay job it's not the greatest. I agree with Camerafodder, a trip to the groomer does wonders.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I just took one of my combs, pretty big slats from the teeth spacing and it worked wonders! I was careful with him but it worked far better than the Zoom Groom until I can get to the furminator, wow what a different & such a handsome boy now

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
A trip to the groomer really does help.

The last week or so I've seen a lot of Huskies and Malamutes, that shut me up about Dante's shedding

·
Registered
183 Posts
marley sheds a bit, brushing seems to help alot, and i have seen a dramatic decrease since we got her and put her on some decent food.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
There is really nothing a groomer does that you can't do yourself. (Except take your money.)

I wet my dogs down with the hose, then blow them off with the air compressor. It helps loosen the undercoat so it is easier to comb out.

When I was grooming dogs for a living, I made DARN sure to brush and comb as much coat out as possible BEFORE bathing the dog. Because there is not much worse than having a whole large dogs worth of undercoat blowing around the room, in your eyes and up your nose! I was always amazed the number of people that would rather pay a bunch of money to someone else, to do what they could easily do themselves!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Brush and back brush for the second coat; at least 3X weekly. Will the dog shedding every be less, I doubt it.

The German Dog is also known as the German Shedder.

·
Registered
27,323 Posts
Onyx finally started to blow her coat at 19 mos. I use an undercoat rake and then pinbrush. She is a stock coat. She is shedding alot, and I finally get to "pluck" some of her coat! I was wondering when she would shed, and now it is almost over. Kacie and Clover both long coated, are brushed regularly and I have a new litter of "puppies" every time I brush them!

·
Registered
478 Posts
i have the original furminator and although expensive (around 50 bucks!!!) i would not be able to do without it. i do it at least once every 2 weeks and storm's coat not only sheds less, but looks awsome. i also use the nupro silver as a supplement and digestive Nzymes and some raw food thrown in and i don't have too much of a problem with the shedding. now with that being said, storm just turned a year on the 20th of this month, so i might get hit with the shedding when he is 19 months (god, i hope not) but if so, i'll let the furminator do the work!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Another vote for the furminator, great tool. if you get one buy off amazon.com I got my large one for $35 new.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I have the furminator too and LOVE it!!!
I brush my shedder 3-4 times a week he hates it but oh well
I use it on my lab too and wow the hair I get off her

1 - 13 of 13 Posts