German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miro sheds a ton!!! I could have weaved loads of carpets and sweaters if I had saved all the hair the past 11 weeks (since we adopted him). ;-)

I actually want to make sure this is okay and not a secondary effect him being sick some way. A friend came over the other day and after seeing my floor asked if Miro was "okay". I told her GS's shed a lot.

It has gotten better but it's still very noticeable. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help. :)

Maria

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Yes they shed all the time. Seasonal shedding times varie per dog but those times it is worse. You need to use a slicker brush everyday, sometimes twice a day.

·
Registered
954 Posts
They shed...a lot. It gets better, it gets worse. We brush 10 min everyday. We also noticed a difference when we put them on better food.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I think nutrition has alot to do with how much dogs and GSD's shed. My three are fed raw and I very seldom have fur come out on my hand when I pet them. Other dogs I am around, I could run my hand down their back and have a handful of fur on the rump.
Of course they do shed spring and fall, but diet plays a big role in coat condition-or if you switch the diet, can throw a dog into a coat blow.
Omega oil supplements with vitamin E daily help the skin and coat as well. Raw eggs are full of omegas and extras!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The day I adopted each of my two, I also adopted fuzzy-wuzzies too!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
wow, it's gotten better. you have a miracle dog.

Miro sheds a ton!!! I could have weaved loads of carpets and sweaters if I had saved all the hair the past 11 weeks (since we adopted him). ;-)

I actually want to make sure this is okay and not a secondary effect him being sick some way. A friend came over the other day and after seeing my floor asked if Miro was "okay". I told her GS's shed a lot.

>>>It has gotten better but it's still very noticeable. Is this normal?<<<

Thanks for your help. :)

Maria

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I think nutrition has alot to do with how much dogs and GSD's shed. My three are fed raw and I very seldom have fur come out on my hand when I pet them. Other dogs I am around, I could run my hand down their back and have a handful of fur on the rump.
Of course they do shed spring and fall, but diet plays a big role in coat condition-or if you switch the diet, can throw a dog into a coat blow.
Omega oil supplements with vitamin E daily help the skin and coat as well. Raw eggs are full of omegas and extras!
I agree with the nutrition thing. Frag is 9 months old now, and we got him in November. He started out on purina, then shortly after we switched to RAW for a few months. We then went on to feed solid gold, then natural balance, and we're getting ready to switch him again. He gets fish oil everyday and eggs a couple times a week. He doesn't shed at all. I slicker brush him once a week, but very few hairs end up in the brush, so it's pretty pointless. He can lay all over the bed, furniture, us, etc and doesn't get any hair anywhere, so it's pretty nice. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
We have a white GSD and he does not shed much. There has been 2 times his shedding got heavy (he is only 1 year and 4 mos) once last summer and just last week. I went and got one of those bamboo care furbusters, the large size. When he was shedding heavy I brushed him for about an hour straight. I thought it would never stop coming off. Must have filled half a trash bag. It really does a good job of taking off the shedding fur, makes him very happy, reduces the shedding in the house to nearly nothing and you don't have to do it very often.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
gsd's shed once a year but it last 365 days
:rofl: Don't know how I missed this post earlier but glad I wasn't drinking anything just now or it would've been spewed all over the screen!

I do have to believe that it can have to do with the way they are fed too. Unfortunately I cannot afford to feed 100% raw, so my two still get one meal a day kibble. However, they do not always eat that. Lots of times they will hold out for their RAW meal :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I started my dog on raw about 3 weeks ago and have already seen a difference. I noticed it and thought I was seeing things, but my bf commented on it as well.

He was fed EVO before, so the difference between raw and high quality kibble surprised me!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I started using the Furminator!lol it works for Tanner whose coat is like crazy.lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for your answers everyone. I just made a post in the Diet & Nutrition section asking for tips on raw feeding. I am soooooooo trying it out!!!! :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
I started using the Furminator!lol it works for Tanner whose coat is like crazy.lol

Agree!!!! Our Furminator saves us!!! One day we walked into our Petsmart and we were looking for something to help up with Nellies coat. Of course we were not looking at the $60 fuminator but other things... this guys walks by and asks if he can help and we explain about Nellies sheding. And come to find out he is a groomer there with a sister that has a GSD. So he brought his furminator out and took two swipes down Nellie back and we were sold. It is amazing how much it works. Funny part is my BF got it for me for my birthday.. hahaha

·
Registered
159 Posts
Agree!!!! Our Furminator saves us!!! One day we walked into our Petsmart and we were looking for something to help up with Nellies coat. Of course we were not looking at the $60 fuminator but other things... this guys walks by and asks if he can help and we explain about Nellies sheding. And come to find out he is a groomer there with a sister that has a GSD. So he brought his furminator out and took two swipes down Nellie back and we were sold. It is amazing how much it works. Funny part is my BF got it for me for my birthday.. hahaha
I just looked into that and it looks lie the Furminator and Furbuster are about the same thing. I first saw the Bamboo Furbuster at Wal-mart, I think it was about $45.00. I decided to go home and see how much I could get it for on line. I got it on ebay for $15.99 with free shipping. I now see thousands of listings for the Furminator for as little as $10.00 with free shipping.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just looked into that and it looks lie the Furminator and Furbuster are about the same thing. I first saw the Bamboo Furbuster at Wal-mart, I think it was about $45.00. I decided to go home and see how much I could get it for on line. I got it on ebay for $15.99 with free shipping. I now see thousands of listings for the Furminator for as little as $10.00 with free shipping.
Figures! We have had ours for almost two years and we also got the large size that's for horses but I should have know better then to get it from Petsmart.... live in learn. If I can justify it for $60 trust me it's worth $10.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have both the furminator and furbuster and personally like the furminator better. I'm sure they are the same thing, but for some reason the furminator does a better job.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Figures! We have had ours for almost two years and we also got the large size that's for horses but I should have know better then to get it from Petsmart.... live in learn. If I can justify it for $60 trust me it's worth $10.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I allways check ebay first unless it's something I have to have right now. I can usually buy something on there and have it in 3 or 4 days. It is a habit for me because I have been a full time seller there for 10+ years. I can understand how most would not think of it when going out to make a purchase. They need to advertise on TV more to remind people. The fee's they get now are rediculous. They make billions a year and can't put a few ads on TV? It frustrates me sometimes

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really like the furminator but I would suggest you do it outside. Too much hair comes out to do it inside! Buy the large size, its worth the $$.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts