·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age did your GSD begin to shed?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Dozer is over 1.5 years I don't think he sheds a lot at all. Don't get me wrong, he sheds but not even close to what I was expecting. I just bought a FUrminator and I am surprised at how much undercoat I got off.
I think he is not shedding as much as he will yet but I am not sure of that. He has been through several season changes now so we will see.

I think when I got a GSD all I pictured was fur EVERYWHERE and it is but not in the quantities I was expecting.

Dozer also has a short coat and I give him fish oil which helps with shedding.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he is 7 months and this is the first time I have seen him shed at all. He has a lot of hair to lose if he is losing the puppy coat... I cant wait ill have 3 shedders lol..

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
My GSD is 9 months and still doesn't shed. :D

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie is 5 months and shedding like crazy. I just got the furminator yesteday and I got a plastic grocery store bag full of hair off of him.

·
Registered
109 Posts
my sable GSD is 8 and half months and has just started shedding like crazy....brushing twice a day......her coat is starting to become very dark in areas that were beige....

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
i was able to fill one of those bags. now that i brush
4 days out of 7 days i don't fill the plastic
bag anymore.
That's what I like to hear! I was wondering how many days to use the furminator. I usually brush him every day and was wondering if I could just use the furminator in place of his regular brush.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I guess I will have to start taking my furminator to him. I was just surprised to see that he was shedding already. Though he has a thick puppy coat. This should be fun! I guess I will have to keep more of the grocery bags around. My little pup is turning into a dog...:wub:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
i think we need to go on
"Maury" and find out "who
your puppy sire be" because
at 9 months and no shedding
that's un-Shepherd like. :), :crazy:, :laugh:.
-shrugs- I know my pup's father, and he had a really nice coat, but he shed. I like to think that Frag's amazing diet and oils keep his coat from shedding, but idk. We brush him once a week just to keep his coat in order and are lucky to cover the bottom of the slicker in any hair. He does have a very stock coat, which I think may help, but I'm not real sure.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Dozer didn't really shed at nine months old either, he also doesn't shed that bad now. I was really happy that a year he still didn't shed and I know his parent, his is 100% DDR.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Some will say if you feed your dog an excellent diet it won't shed "hardly at all." Others will know if you feed your dog top quality vs the crappiest food on the market, they still may shed buckets of fur. Good diet certainly will help skin/coat, there is no denying that. But if your dog is a shedder or a non-shedder, don't expect miracles just by changing to a different food.

The reality is different coat types (not lengths) and different dogs even of the same breed shed in different amounts. Of all our dogs, our czech pup seems to have never ending fur. I'm pretty sure he regrows an entire coat each night while he sleeps. Does this mean all czech GSD's shed buckets of fur; certainly not. But this one does!

Our 6 yr old female hardly sheds at all, no matter what time of yr. The other two are I would say "average" for an adult GSD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts