German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luna has been solid black for over a year then a few months ago she started to change and get white blotches. First is this a concern for her health and if not why does it happen. I already ruled out scar marks it did coincide with her first full coat blow. But had been getting worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
My dog had some white on her like that recently, but in her case it was from brushing up against some wet paint LOL! So that was my first thought when I saw that picture. Any chance she found some wet paint somewhere?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had always assumed this was pretty standard for black German shepherds to have patches. My dogs father for instance, was fully black besides his butt. Haha. Now my dog has a white butt, blonde leg highlights, a white chest and some random patches.

But potentially if the spots are just showing up more and more, potentially take a look at this, uveodermatological syndrome or as someone else suggested, vitiligo.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Maybe it is vitiligo. As long as it isnt going to kill her I am fine.
Might not be a bad idea to take her into the vet. There are some health issues that can affect fur color. There are some nutrient deficiencies that can cause it but they usually start around the face/eyes.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I still think it's paint LOL! Sorry, just never seen anything like this...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can promise you it isnt paint. I have throughly ruled that 1 out. I have been thinking of bring to the vet to just get a final say.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
GSDs can and do change colour as the get older, BUT not on those areas of the body! Changes are usually on the face, legs, feet and hind end! That really IS strange!

I don't know what else to say!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would not think it is anything concerning but can't hurt to get a vet to check it out. Weird!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did a lot of research and have found nothing about this online. Breeder has no idea either.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Leukotrichia would be the doggie version of Poliosis, when it's not on the head or face.

• “Leukotrichia” is the medical term of whitening of the hair, without indication of location of the whitened hairs
  • “Poliosis” is the medical term of whitening of the hair on the head and/or face (ie people who have a natural white strip in their hair.
The article at the link below discusses a list of possibilities - from cosmetic to serious health issues

Pigment Loss - Tri-County Animal Hospital

How does the skin look in the areas with the white spots? Whether there is any pigment change on the skin, could be a clue. If there aren't any other symptoms, it's probably just a pigment issue. Might want to check with your vet. If it's just some patches of white hair, and no other skin or other symptoms, you might be able to wait until you have another need to go to the vet (unless money isn't an issue).

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I was going to say ask the breeder, but you said she doesn’t know, so ask the vet. It may be nothing but you should rule everything out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts