German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My female GSD puppy (about 5 months) knows how to sit; however, when I move away from her, I except her to keep sitting. NO! She will walk wherever I am going.

Any tips on how to correct this? I have tried having her sit, taking a few steps back while I keep telling her to sit, and it works after about 5 steps and she comes walking towards me.

I have been using treats for training.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. This is my first dog and I am trying to learn everything I can.

Thanks! :help:

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Do you give her a command to stay? Or wait? Say aak when she gets up and put her back into the sit position.
When I was training sit, as I was walking away I kept my distance short and said good sit quietly. After I returned to heel position the marker word was Yes, and the dog was released/rewarded. Repetition is best.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Any tips on how to correct this? I have tried having her sit, taking a few steps back while I keep telling her to sit, and it works after about 5 steps and she comes walking towards me.

I have been using treats for training.
Put her in a sit and walk as far away as you can and release her just before you can tell she's going to get up.
Only give her a treat if she is successful. Jax is ball crazy so he'll comply but whimper while he does it because he knows he's not getting the ball thrown unless I'm finished whatever pointless walking around I'm doing before he gets released ;)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Hi guys,

My female GSD puppy (about 5 months) knows how to sit; however, when I move away from her, I except her to keep sitting. NO! She will walk wherever I am going.
You need to give her the command of STAY. She did sit. Then you walked off, so she did too. Why would she stay without being trained the stay command?

Tell her to stay. Walk away one step. Step in, reward, tell her "good" or "yes" or whatever your bridge word is, give the command of STAY again, then step back to your step one step away. Wait two seconds this time, step in and reward. Go back to your spot. Repeat several times a day, work your dog throughout the day. You have to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. If the dog breaks, take her back to the spot she was in and place her in a sit, (do not tell her to sit, she broke the STAY command not the SIT command) and again tell her to STAY, then go back to your spot one step away.
Over time, days, not sessions, add a step here and a step there. If she starts breaking too much, you are moving too fast or not correcting properly.

go slow. Set your dog up for success, but be prepared to correct her when necessary.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Agree with Rerun, you need to keep it short distances and short session, repeating over and over, but keep it fun so pup stays engaged.
I would not walk away far, that is just setting the pup up to fail. After this is learned, then it can be proofed that way, but not for training the lesson.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
By the way, I just noticed you said you kept telling her to sit...don't do this. Don't repeat commands over and over.

If someone calls your name...(example) Heather...heather....heather....hey heather! Heather....heather...I'm talking to you...heather!

Wouldn't you tune them out after awhile?

Lets use a different example, a word you dog is learning but that's not proofed (well trained).Lets say someone said the word "ooph" to you. You have no idea what ooph means. So they place you on the ground in a particular positon, and you think to yourself, OH, I get it! Ooph means to sit on the ground in this position. Then the person starts walking away saying "ooph, ooph, ooph, ooph." You'd be sitting there thinking, I AM sitting. This command must mean something else, I guess I will try getting up and coming to my owner!"

Give the dog ONE command. Trust me, your dog heard you. Dogs can hear a fly fart on the other side of the house, it heard the command. ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Unless you've taught her that the sit command means to remain in a sit until you release her (or give her another command), then she's doing exactly what you've asked her to do. You said "sit" and she sat. You didn't tell her to stay there while you walked away, so she didn't. If you expect her to stay you need to teach her what that concept means.

Here are a couple of threads where I explain in great detail how I teach stay:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...basic/127273-training-issues.html#post1723463

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...aying-staying-why-wont-he-do.html#post1607614

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Lots of good advice- tell her to sit, then pivot to where you are right in front of her, toe to toe. Then give the stay command, I also use a hand signal which is a flat palm in front of the nose, then back up one step at a time. If you're close, you can immediately put her back in a sit/stay if she moves. Reward and praise even if it's a few seconds. then increase the time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts