German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for future vet appointments.

Apparently she draws the line at the thermometer.

As soon as the vet inserted it, she turned and snapped at the tech restraining her.

It was a half-assed snap..more of a 'HEY!' than anything.

She did so well surrounded by other dogs in the waiting room, didn't make a peep. Dog aggression is the only problem we ever have...wasn't expecting any negative reaction with a person.

On the plus side, the lumps on her head that warranted the exam are likely infected bee stings...took a load off my mind.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I had to laugh at the title of your post. I can't really say I blame her. If someone did that to me and I didn't know what was coming I would snap at them also. LOL

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have to agree w jazy' mom. I wouldnt like it either. My girl seems to be ok but I am going to by one just to take with me if I think she is headed in that direction

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Poor thing! My boy is a complete aggressive psycho at the vet... normally a sweetheart but a complete, raging monster once we leave the waiting room...

He earned his muzzle early on... I feel your pain!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: jazy's momI had to laugh at the title of your post. I can't really say I blame her. If someone did that to me and I didn't know what was coming I would snap at them also. LOL
Same here!

She was fine for the exam, but as soon as it was time to take her temp..she just was not pleased!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went to the vet a couple of weeks ago and Ruby hid behind me and avoided the doctor like ****.
When the doctor took the leash from me and walked her to the back of house and came back (to get to know her and settle her down a bit), she told me that Ruby was just fine 0_0"
But after the exam was over, Ruby totally ignored the vet and the tech.
I was rebuked by the vet b/c Ruby didn't like them.
She told me to give Ruby tasty treats when she comes the next time...but honestly, treats don't work when Ruby's nervous or excited. Toys don't work either -_-+
And besides who in their right mind would want to go to the doctor anyway? -_-+

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Our vet uses the ear thermometer unless a dog appears to be ill.

As he has always said, "That is an exit, NOT an entrance!".

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Originally Posted By: Ruby1004
And besides who in their right mind would want to go to the doctor anyway? -_-+
If the ONLY times they go to the vet is to get poked, cut open or have things stuck in various openings - of COURSE they wouldn't like it.

My dogs always go to the vet in pairs. That way they never know which one is going to get treated.

And when I often stop at the vets with them just to visit and have the people there give them love and treats.

It's simply another training opportunity.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
poor baby!!
I think I would have done the same thing

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I am with Laurie on this only I don't do my dogs in pairs, but as pups or young dogs we go to the Vet's office as part of their training. We go in and sit for a while, we go get on the scale and normally when I am in the girls at the desk see if one of the Techs has some time for meet, greet and treats. It really helps for the visits, my male loves to go to the Vet's office and begs to have the Vet take him in the back so he can visit with all the Techs and being the good mom I say yes.

Val

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: JD's DadWas she given treats while the vet was inserting the thermometer?
She is not distracted by treats or any food items.

When she's on guard or nervous...she won't even sniff at anything you offer her.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally Posted By: Reichsmom
Originally Posted By: JD's DadWas she given treats while the vet was inserting the thermometer?

When she's on guard or nervous...she won't even sniff at anything you offer her.
Sorry, I should've rephrased that...was she ever given treats by the vet when it came to the thermometer? Or any part of the exams she's ever been to?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: JD's Dad
Originally Posted By: Reichsmom

Sorry, I should've rephrased that...was she ever given treats by the vet when it came to the thermometer? Or any part of the exams she's ever been to?
The vet has always given her treats or biscuits at visits, although I don't think she's ever eaten them there lol.

She's never had her temp taken before, and I suppose found it a rather unpleasant surprise.

I am going to call and ask if it would be acceptable for me to restrain her for exams from now on. Her old vet used to let me do it for shots and all and we never had a problem.
If not, we'll muzzle her, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
True...I haven't had the opportunity to go to the vet just to train her since its like 25 min away...
I recently found a closer vet about 15 minutes, maybe i can take her often to just chill

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
I haven't had to muzzle one yet, but if they take them to get x-rayed, they will muzzle them.

Usually during the exam, I am there, and the nearest we got to a bite was the old English Setter, Pippy, who objected to being made bleed when they were doing something to him, drawing blood, or giving a shot. Poor guy, being white, it really showed too.

I also take my pups for visits and to be weighed often. When we go into the little room, for an exam, it is just an added attraction. No one likes their temp taken, but usually that only happens when they are way sick and they do not object. I am usually holding the head though.

If my dog is injured, I prefer that they muzzle as I do not want any of my lot to bite anyone under any circumstances. Well, I wouldn't mind them biting a burglar.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Max gets muzzled at the vet once he's being worked on.
He's gone after people when we try to get his nails clipped.
Takes four of us to pin him down with a muzzle & sedative. The Dr. said he's the only dog that's ever 'beaten' him.

Stick a thermometer up his butt, no problem, clip his nails & he is Cujo!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
New puppy owners who happen upon this thread, take heed...these stories are why it is so important to condition pups when they are young to this kind of handling.

Responsible breeders start clipping puppy toenails before they are weaned. Once you bring the puppy home, it's up to you to handle every inch of the dog often--daily--and make it positive. There's nothing that any vet does in a regular exam that hurts---including drawing blood. The issue is conditioning a puppy that it is okay for people to touch any part of their body without putting up a fight. With enough treats, you can make a puppy look forward to nail trims, tooth brushing, ear cleaning, and any kind of poking and prodding that might ever be required.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I did the same thing you do; a lot of visits just to get the dog acquinted to the vet's office. He is great in the waiting room with the receptionist, other dogs and people.

But meeting the vet is not competely resolved and my hunch is this vet is a bit afraid of Timber which does not help.

Before a muzzle, I decided to change vets.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts