German Shepherds Forum banner

She isn't taking it very well

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  itsajdamnit 
#1 ·
Today is the first hot day we've had this year. The heat index is almost 90.

It's 80 in the house....I'd have the central air on, but it isn't hooked up and ready to go yet

Poor Reich is moving place to place, trying to find the coolest spot and panting away.

I feel so bad. It doesn't bother me that much, but I have hubby calling the guy who is supposed to do the a/c to tell him he NEEDS to get his a$$ here.

It's going to be hotter all weekend.

See less See more
#2 ·
Poor Reich, I know what its like when the hot weather hits. Maybe you can put a fan at his level and that might help cool him off...or if he has a wading pool, this would be a good time to bring it out.
You might even make some pupcycles for him (just ice cubes maybe with a little treat in them). On really hot days I'll even hose the dogs down and make a game out of it so they think they are just having fun

Good luck.

#3 ·
Ha, I was just going to maybe start a thread on this! Today is our first day of humid, 80's and the dogs would rather be inside!! I am outside on the deck, no sun and a good breeze, just watered everything including spraying Onyx,as she loves to chase the hose spray. Now I just sat down at the bar, and she is whining to go INSIDE! DH turned on the air, it is way to cold IMO:))
The dogs love their pool, but it is too late in the day to set it up,so Onyx has been wading thru her water dish! We have a koi pond and keeping Kacie out of it is a challenge, as she loves water.
I'll live outside as I love the heat, the dogs are just gonna have to get use to it.

#4 ·
when it gets hot but we are trying to save on A/C bills (they can get really high) we set up a box fan at the back door blow out and fan at one of the front windows pulling air in- this will creating some really good air movement in the house. Ruby will lay somewhere along the air stream and dream of ice cream.

Also if it gets bad for her, but on your shorts and wet her down in a cool bath in the tub or shower, you can lightly towel her dry and she'll cool as she air dries the test of the way lounging on the floor.

#5 ·
beamer is the same way i notice when it is really hot. we haven't had any 80 degree days, but we had it in the 70s & she was like dying, we took her to the river & the beach & have been letting her splash around which is a huge relief we can tell from the non stop tail wagging, lol.

#6 ·
Thanks guys.

I put a box fan in the livingroom window...she pasted herself to the loveseat right in front of it.

Wetting her down would help....but she HATES water. I'm trying to get her to think it's fun...or at least tolerate it.

She's going to hate the summer humidity.

#7 ·
Yeah, it was pretty hot here today and hotter tomorrow. I took Chevy outside and he had a ball chasing the water from the hose. He was soaked through and seemed more comfortable than he did earlier in the day. We don't have central air here, just a window a/c in 2 of the bedrooms and ceiling fans.

#8 ·
It gets really hot inside my house, and stuffy. My dogs stay out during the day. I have the sun blocks up. Those and the huge oak trees that shed different junk all over my kennels all year long DO decrease the heat in the back yard. With plenty of fresh water, my dogs manage the heat quite well. What is hard for me this time of year is that I can only take one dog with me, unless it is night time. Because I really cannot leave them in the car at all. I can leave a few windows and the back open, but I figure they are more comfortable at home.

#9 ·
Brady hates the heat
we actually got him his own fan
when we have the A/C on he usually lay in our bed right in front of it

#11 ·
It is hot like you wouldn't believe here today - Jesse's first day in life with this kind of heat, he was at daycare, and they watered the dogs down with hoses and had a kiddy pool out for them. Jesse came home a mess, black paws, gummy yucky ears, back feels very rough and wiry. Usually at home he likes to play with the hose water, when he got home I tried to get him wet again with it and he ran away, I am now thinking daycare did something wrong and now he is scared of the hose

#12 ·
It's 92 here now, tornado watch. What a way to start the summer season! Earlier this week it was in the 40s when I left for work. We don't have A/C, so all my animals (and people) just get over it an adjust. During the day the house is generally as warm if not warmer than it is outside.

#13 ·
Here in Ohio, we had a frost warning last week and now it is ninety something. I never know in the morning whether to wear a turtle neck or a light blouse. Oh, for snow.....

Actually, after putting the shade thingys on top of my kennes in May, we DID have snow and I was sweating bullets because my kennels cannot manage a SNOW LOAD on top. Luckily this time, it did not stick. One year we had a pretty good snowstorm on Mother's Day. Or is it Mothers' Day. I guess it could be correct either way. I mean really, I normally see it the former, but the latter is probably correct more often the way we generally use it. Gramatical question of the day.... English teachers??? Or do we use "Mother's Day" to make it more personal -- my mother's day. But these days we buy this holiday's cards for our sisters, and aunts and daughters in law, grandmothers, daughters.

Ok, I am really off topic.

#17 ·
It's been in the 100's probably half a dozen times already here. I'm used to that, but the heat came early this year. We've been about 10 to 15 degrees above normal almost every day. Vegas and Nevada (GSD's) sure don't seem to mind but Reno (dachshund) hates it. You'd think the grass was on fire the way he tries to avoid going out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.