German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought Riley home on Saturday. She is now 7 weeks and 5 days old. She is doing very well and loving my other dog and the cats. I have a few questions tho. I'm wondering about crate training. At night she goes in her crate by the bed at 10pm and she sleeps until about 1 then I take her out and then put her back in and she sleeps until about 5am. She does just fine in the kennel at night. But when I try to introduce her to her other kennel that is connect to an ex-pen she panics and cries. While in it. She doesn't mind going in the kennel (because thats where she gets fed) It's just as soon as I shut the door and walk away (when she doesn't have food) she cries big time. I was trying to do just 5 minutes every few hours. Do you have any tips? Also I read a lot about the landshark stage...I only got one day of a cuddly puppy haha. We are full on landshark right now. Every time she bites I replace my hand,toes,foot, jeans, shirt...ect with a toy. But it doesn't seem to be working. Or it may just be to soon of course. Also what do you guys think of trying to train a puppy to use the bells that hang on the door to tell you when they need to go out?
Thank you so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
We brought Riley home on Saturday. She is now 7 weeks and 5 days old. She is doing very well and loving my other dog and the cats. I have a few questions tho. I'm wondering about crate training. At night she goes in her crate by the bed at 10pm and she sleeps until about 1 then I take her out and then put her back in and she sleeps until about 5am. She does just fine in the kennel at night. But when I try to introduce her to her other kennel that is connect to an ex-pen she panics and cries. While in it. She doesn't mind going in the kennel (because thats where she gets fed) It's just as soon as I shut the door and walk away (when she doesn't have food) she cries big time. I was trying to do just 5 minutes every few hours. Do you have any tips? Also I read a lot about the landshark stage...I only got one day of a cuddly puppy haha. We are full on landshark right now. Every time she bites I replace my hand,toes,foot, jeans, shirt...ect with a toy. But it doesn't seem to be working. Or it may just be to soon of course. Also what do you guys think of trying to train a puppy to use the bells that hang on the door to tell you when they need to go out?
Thank you so much!

I think my puppy was a landshark for like a month. He would bite my sweatpants in the morning when I got ready for school and try to get me to drag him around lol. I never told him "no" until he was like 12 weeks old. Before that I did exactly what you are doing, replacing hands/feet/etc with toys and distraction. I also would "yelp" sometimes (but not if it appeared to escalate him) and kind of "tap" his flank. My roommates and I were terrorized every day.

He also woke me up 5 times a night for a week to go potty from his crate, and every time he went back in he would be pretty upset for 20 minutes and yelp and whine and freak out. It only lasted a week though as I never responded to those; just his potty whines.

But he's 6 months old in 5 days and I can now look back on those times and all I can say is keep being positive, and stay consistent. Puppy will improve! He is absolutely wonderful right now.

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
I would keep her water in the crate too during the day and just let her go in and out on her own for now.Occasionally drop a treat in the crate so she has to go in to get it.You can add a command(kennel up,bed,etc).Close the door for a second,then open it.Patience:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congratulations! Riley is beautiful! It sounds like you are well on your way.

I have had 2 GSD's and we are waiting for our new GSD puppy on July 10th. I crate trained all of my dogs. It sounds like she is doing amazing for only having had her home for a few days. In my opinion, I would wait at least a few weeks to introduce the ex-pen, just until she is more acclimated to her crate.

I have potty trained with the bell and have loved it! In the past my dogs would either bark or just sit and stare at me to give me the hint (which doesn't always work). The bell training was very easy, they picked up on it really fast. It is much nicer to hear a bell ring than a bark in my opinion and very clear to understand what they want.

Best of luck to you with Riley. She is a cutie!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts