German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very sweet 14month old GSD pup. She is generally well behaved. Knows many commands and even will execute said commands from time to time. Just kidding she is pretty good with most of her commands. One thing that is driving me and my family nuts is that she is so flipping excited when we come home or a guest comes over that she jumps and spins and generally acts like she has never seen a person before. It is very annoying. I have gotten her to sit and wait til I give her attention when I let her out of her crate (mostly) However when it is time to put her collar on or if a guest comes over she can not contain her enthusiasm. Are there any suggestions for me to get her to chill the heck out?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a very sweet 14month old GSD pup. She is generally well behaved. Knows many commands and even will execute said commands from time to time. Just kidding she is pretty good with most of her commands. One thing that is driving me and my family nuts is that she is so flipping excited when we come home or a guest comes over that she jumps and spins and generally acts like she has never seen a person before. It is very annoying. I have gotten her to sit and wait til I give her attention when I let her out of her crate (mostly) However when it is time to put her collar on or if a guest comes over she can not contain her enthusiasm. Are there any suggestions for me to get her to chill the heck out?
Perhaps an expen will help with the visitor excitement. Put her in the expen, invite guest in. She'll probably go through her excited routine but ignore her. Wait till she's calm and then reward and acknowledge.

For collar excitement, I would just stand stock still, not acknowledge her until she calms down, and then reward and put the collar on.

Will require a lot of patience and repetitions on your part but there will be more knowledgeable users on here who perhaps have quicker methods to achieving your goals.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This one may take a little while but its possible. The first and easiest thing for you to do is completely ignore her when you walk in the house, same with guests, if she gets crazy and starts jumping just have them turn their backs, no petting and maybe even crate her if it gets excessive for a few mins. This one is a process but the good thing is you can train it all the time. Just keep walking in and out of your house, if she goes nuts turn around and walk back out and do it again, it may be the 30th time but at some point she wont be AS crazy and thats when you mark and reward.You can do it like 100 times a day to shape the attitude you want you just have to be diligent. It will seem like shell never get it but she will. REPETITION AND PATIENCE ARE KEY

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I can sure sympathize! It must be a family trait since my Baron who is the older half brother to your gsd is the same way. Baron will turn everything into a game if given the opportunity. What worked with Baron was restraint, containment, giving him an outlet, and the firm rule that if he stands still, the door will open but not until. So for getting the collar on. If it is in the first thing in morning and he is in his crate, I first shut the bedroom door. When I open the crate door he runs to the door - stands still - and I put the collar on. At first it took a while and I just sat down on the bed, when he came up to me, I put the collar on. Now he'll stop after he exits the crate. For coming home, I have treats, he is outside, so I let him into the house by the backdoor. This is nice because that is a small space as I have closed the kitchen door and there are 2 small steps leading up to that door. He likes to stand with his front paws on the top step and his back paws on the floor. He gets a treat when he stands that way. So I then pet him and let him do a greeting. Since he is still excited, I either attach his leash which he drags in the house or if I have groceries to bring inside, I let him outside, have him sit and give him a treat. I also use those steps to brush him and put his harness for the car on. For your situation with guests, I would have her collar and leash on so that way you can keep her close and be sure to have your guests ignore her like BlitzTheGSD advised. I would just do a short greeting and then either put her outside if possible or in her crate as suggested or behind a dog gate. I have one blocking the exit from the kitchen into the living room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts