German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it funny that Lola doesn't bark when people knock at the door or come in.
She's now about 11 months old but I run a home daycare so she got used to people coming and going all day every day.

She also doesn't bark when my clients pull into the driveway.
This works for me because of the nature of my job but at the same time I wonder if this would be considered a"fault" ... don't know if I'm explaining myself well.
I just figured since the breed is known for it's guarding tendencies that she would alert when people were here.

She does bark when people walk by sometimes and at other things I can't see though.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Consider yourself lucky :) Sounds like Lola is well socialized and doesn't feel the need to protect her property.

Our Jake is getting better with people walking by the house. However, if you step foot on our property, look out ... barking like crazy. But he's all bark. As soon as he's had a chance to sniff and say hello, then it's all tail wagging :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cubby never barks. She's an absolutely quiet dog. Other dogs do bark at her on walks but they never solicit a response! :laugh:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Roxy is quiet alert too. She doesn't bark..she hears the door and watches for our response. When somebody is in the yard she'll go to the sliding door and kind of look at me and then look out so I know somebody is out there..it's usually a family member so I will say .."it's just so and so " and then she'll lay back down and relax.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ranger rarely barks either. The Seeing Eye breeds for "quiet" dogs and in Ranger's case it seems to have worked. I am very pleased that he rarely barks. It makes life much more pleasant. He does occasionally see something that elicits a single bark and I am fine with that as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
what age are they supposed to show guarding tendencies? my girl flanks my other dog when he gets close to me. she will growl and try to prevent him from getting close to me. as far as strangers or doorbell, she doesn't bark. shes now 4 months old.

my pitbull started to bark when the door bell ringing at 6 months. he isn't barking to keep ppl back.. its more of a friendly bark. i'm disappointed as he doesn't seem to have any guard dog in him. i say this because i watched him on the security cam one day.. he heard something on the side of the house.. he went to investigate, something spooked him and ran like forest gump/ tail tucked in back to his crate.

i just shook my head and realized i got the wrong type of dog for guarding the home. 2 months later, i get my black gsd. she's fearless and has a pretty deep bark already. its a big contrast between the two dogs. i'm already looking to rehome the pitbull as i'd rather have another german shepherd if i'm keeping 2 pets.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
My girls were quiet for the first two years, then we got a male. He barks at just about everything and now the girls will bark too when someone is at the door. They will quit barking when told, but he has a ways to go.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I don't think I heard Mac bark more than a few times in his entire life ... BUT when he barked there was something that needed to be barked at. The rest of the Hooligans have been normal ... barking at dogs, or people walking down the road, at critters, etc. He wasn't a pacifist, he was a very efficient small animal killer, but his barks meant something ... when Mac barked I listened!!!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
We've had some dogs who bark at everything, some who never bark, and others who learn to bark at stuff from the other dogs.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
She has a confused sense of her own territory because too many strangers are moving in and out. If you leave her alone for 3 months in some metal net enclosure in the wild woods where from she would be able to smell a stranger from the distance - the dragon will awake within her.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
She has a confused sense of her own territory because too many strangers are moving in and out. If you leave her alone for 3 months in some metal net enclosure in the wild woods where from she would be able to smell a stranger from the distance - the dragon will awake within her.
Right. Because a responsible owner would do this to their dog?

:eek:

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Because a responsible owner would do this to their dog?
I said - "if". It is not a method, of course, but, the principle is still the same, isolated dogs behave much more agressively than those who lost their count of new visitors. This principle works even in the street: in a busy day time your dog would walk beside you through the crowd with his head down without paying attention to anyone in paticular, but will bark at the lonely approaching stranger in the same street at night or early morning.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I know how you feel Penny doesn't bark, period. She may give a yap when we rough house. And she had one little episode when a bag was blowing down the road and wanted it. But sometimes I wonder if she has a voice lo

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1>>>>> what's funny? there's your answer about barking.

2>>>>> no fault in not barking at your clients. it's a plus.

I find it funny that Lola doesn't bark when people knock at the door or come in.
She's now about 11 months old but

1 >>>>> I run a home daycare so she got used to people coming and going all day every day.<<<<<

She also doesn't bark when my clients pull into the driveway.
This works for me because of the nature of my job but at the same time

2 >>>>> I wonder if this would be considered a"fault"<<<<<

... don't know if I'm explaining myself well.
I just figured since the breed is known for it's guarding tendencies that she would alert when people were here.

She does bark when people walk by sometimes and at other things I can't see though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Perhaps when a threat approaches and tries to enter your home you may find that bark. It is great that she is not barking at non-threatening guests. You have done a great job socializing her. I assume you have not had any threatening people try to enter your home?:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I wrote this post something interesting thing happened.

My DH was out for the evening and forgot his keys so he knocked on the door at 3AM. Lola was lying in bed with me and jumped out of the bed and ran to the door barking like I have never heard her bark before I even heard anything. She stopped barking as soon as I told her to but was very alert until she saw it was my DH.

So I guess she can alert when the need is really there : )

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Ollie doesn't really bark either and he's an intact male although young, same age as Lola and we never have visitors(our house is small so all the family functions happen at my in laws who live a couple blocks from us -yay-)! If the doorbell rings all my other dogs go nuts but Ollie just quietly watches, he's never barked at a person.

One time I was sitting by myself at a park while my husband was off buying us lunch, there were people all around us but one man in particular walked behind me and I tensed up a little thinking he might try and steal my camera or something... Ollie got up, turned around and stared at the man until he was gone and then laid back down at my side, not a peep out of him though. :)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
That's like Bella she's a mute never ever barks, the only time I ever hear her is when I leave the house and she's mad because I left her behind. Other then that not a peep or a care when people ring the door bell she is totally oblivious my cats go on the alert more than her lol she'll let anyone in without hesitation, but shhhh don't let them know that :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Tasha, my first GSD never barked when someone came to the door. BUT one time when I was working the midnight shift an UPS man knocked at the door and woke me up. I threw open the door, and in a very nasty voice said, "WHAT THE *expletive* DO YOU WANT?" Tasha started growling, snarling, barking. Turns out she was just smart and took her cues from me ... she welcomed those I welcomed, and if I didn't like them, neither did she!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts