German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a serious issue with Ava....and after having a chunk of my back almost removed this morning, I decided to vent my issue here instead of at her!!!

I have Ava and I also have 2 ShihTzu's. Obviously, Shih's do not have a snout. Therefore, whenever they have a toy in their mouth, they tend to push against something to get the toy more secure in their mouth. Sometimes they push on a table, the sofa or me. No big deal.

Well....Ava, who insists that she is really a shihtzu, does the same thing. However, since the toy is already fully in her mouth she ends up mouthing. Either the table, the sofa.......or ME!!!!

The bruises I have from this on my arms and legs are just ridiculous. I've even had someone ask me if my husband is harming me. I know Ava is not meaning to bite me when she does this. It's different from her normal drive-by nibble cuz she wants to play. She really really does think she is doing what the shihtzu's are doing to secure the toy more in her mouth.

I think my neighbors (5 acres away) heard me scream when she got my back this morning!! Any suggestions???

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Land sharks...thats what most GSD pups are. Zoe got my wrist super good on our morning walk while she was going for the stick I was trying to throw for her- I have a nice bruise. When she was younger she'd get my heels, hands, legs, pants or whatever else fit in her mouth. Lots of correction, redirection, and time outs prevailed. Give it time this behavior just comes with the age:)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What they said- bigger toys, lots to chew and time! I put on a long sleeved tshirt this weekend and I noticed little holes in the sleeve courtesy of Uschi

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Wow.... Sounds just like Otto

I have been going through the same thing with Otto.... now 6 months. He has been doing it a less scene he got older. Only about once every 2 weeks. Still hurts!! I swear tears come to my eyes :cry:. He puts the toy in his mouth and will press it up agaisnt me or the couch, wall or table. I though this was b/c he wanted in his mouth more.... or wanted to play. Im glad he dosen't do it to my kids. Just me :crazy: but I still love him anyways.... Also we don't have any other dogs where he has learned this habit.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been going through the same thing with Otto.... now 6 months. He has been doing it a less scene he got older. Only about once every 2 weeks. Still hurts!! I swear tears come to my eyes :cry:. He puts the toy in his mouth and will press it up agaisnt me or the couch, wall or table. I though this was b/c he wanted in his mouth more.... or wanted to play. Im glad he dosen't do it to my kids. Just me :crazy: but I still love him anyways.... Also we don't have any other dogs where he has learned this habit.
Yep..sounds like you know EXACTLY what I am going thru. I thought she picked it up from the ShihTzu's but since you don't have any other dogs...maybe it's just a gsd thing and she will outgrow it.

I am going away for the next few days and she will be home with my husband and kids...hopefully she outgrows it by the time I get back this weekend. Wishful thinking I know.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Yay! Going away for a few days might just give you enough time to heal- maybe the husband will have her cured!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts