German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my new 16w GSD puppy is a barker! She talks to everyone she meets. While her tail is wagging and i know she isn't being aggressive (no lunging, no teeth, etc) its almost impossible to stop her from barking. Any suggestions? My Mom's GSD does this- pretty much has to say "hi" to everyone. I don't mind a bark or two, but want it to stop there!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Timing is everything with this, frankly at this age I'd pretty much discourage any barking. Not getting angry or anything, just tell get them to stop. There is ZERO chance the barking is for anything real or appropriate. And 100% chance that it's cause of over excitement or for fun, or possibly even a teeny bit from a fear reaction (common in young puppies, why we have to socialize them).

By timing I mean you need to be aware and alert and STOP the barking before it comes out!!!! Distraction. A toy. A treat. An alternate behavior you DO want and can reward, rather than allowing the 'bad' behavior of barking to start up so you have to 'correct'.

Puppy classes would be a huge help. A good instructor is wonderful about teaching us about our timing and what to look for in our puppies.

Tons of exercise, tons of socialization. Meeting friendly people, friendly healthy dogs. If you know any other vetted and healthy pups that you can have your pup play with.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Jackson is 15 weeks old and when he goes to swim practice he will sometimes bark at another dog...we always correct him and he seems to be getting better...I do think its more of a "Hi, wanna play?" thing because he is used to playing all the time with out lab and the two cats.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeTiming is everything with this, frankly at this age I'd pretty much discourage any barking. Not getting angry or anything, just tell get them to stop. There is ZERO chance the barking is for anything real or appropriate. And 100% chance that it's cause of over excitement or for fun, or possibly even a teeny bit from a fear reaction (common in young puppies, why we have to socialize them).
Hee hee I've been driving her EVERYWHERE (parties, family, friends) and we are already greatly improving!! She needs some work with other dogs, but she is now WONDERFUL with other people. It's DEFINITELY not for real (she barked once at the door to go outside) I'm actually amazed at how quiet she is otherwise. I bet you it was a little bit of fear/ unsuredness. We're getting over it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts