German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably simple and dumb and I'm doing what I normally do re: worrying about nothing. BUT...

Willow barfed up what looked like her last two treats onto the rug (of course, the rug). It happened super suddenly. We had gotten home from a walk about 30 minutes before and it seemed like she fast asleep at my feet, then suddenly she got up and started doing her barfy preamble: skulking around retching/gagging. Couldn't get her outside in time. She barfed twice, in rapid succession, and now seems completely fine.

She has had episodes where she'll barf yellow bile, usually during or right after walks, and I figure it's the empty stomach thing. I try to give her small treats throughout the day and/or before walks to prevent this, and it works for the most part. I guess today she hasn't gotten as much as she usually does? But our walk wasn't especially strenuous. She did drink a few times out of some puddles, and she drank when we got home from our walk. But it wasn't the bile: it was a large pile of what looked like partially digested Milkbones, plus some grass (she eats grass ALLLL THE TIME).

Again, she seems normal now. Her poop during the walk was normal.

So really my question is: since I know she gets an upset tummy when it's empty, what should I do about dinner? Should I feed her normally? Should I fast her until morning? Should I maybe feed her a little less dinner than usual?

It's now been about an hour since she barfed; she's had some water, but that's it.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Put her dinner down and let her decide. MOST dogs are pretty good at knowing when they shouldn't eat. Sabi was a grazer, it seldom made her puke she simply did all the edging for me!
I wouldn't allow drinking out of puddles. With all the cars around who knows what could be in them. Keep an eye on her but try not to worry. If she pukes again or is refusing to eat over the next day then a vet visit might be in order. If she starts refusing water as well then vet is definitely in order. I have one now that is a terrible eater but pukes if her stomach is empty so I get it. Just try to not worry.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put her dinner down and let her decide. MOST dogs are pretty good at knowing when they shouldn't eat. Sabi was a grazer, it seldom made her puke she simply did all the edging for me!
I wouldn't allow drinking out of puddles. With all the cars around who knows what could be in them. Keep an eye on her but try not to worry. If she pukes again or is refusing to eat over the next day then a vet visit might be in order. If she starts refusing water as well then vet is definitely in order. I have one now that is a terrible eater but pukes if her stomach is empty so I get it. Just try to not worry.
Thanks. Yeah the "puddle" was really river runoff; the river is super high right now so the whole park is flooded, and there are low areas full of river water. I try not to let her drink out of them but she snuck this one in before I could stop her!

She was kinda coughing/retching again a few moments ago so we went outside, but she's fine, nothing came out and the "retching" was pretty minor....grabbed her toy and wanted to play! Maybe some grass tickling her throat? I am SO scared of bloat so I'll be watching out for that in particular (non-productive retching).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts