German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not GSD, but unidentified mix dog (short fur).

My longest blade is only 7mm blade (1/32 inch). Hot tropical country, but before 3pm/4pm is never on the sun. I need to shave him to be able deal with fleas, not because I want make him comfortable/make him beautiful or something like that.

Is it too short? I can't find any good answer on the internet.

·
Registered
779 Posts
What sort of fur does the dog have? Does it shed or not shed? If it does shed then it may take up to a year for the coat to regrow or it may never regrow the same and you may be left with mostly undercoat and few to no guard hairs which are what repels water, shades from the sun, ect...

7mm will be short, but not skinned. It may or may not be enough fur to shade the dog's skin from the sun so I would not leave it outside without shade.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Yes. Do not shave the dog. Any difficulties the dog is having regarding the weather, will be intensified.
Any chance of simply being able to bathe him in Dawn or another dishwashing liquid instead?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What sort of fur does the dog have? Does it shed or not shed? If it does shed then it may take up to a year for the coat to regrow or it may never regrow the same and you may be left with mostly undercoat and few to no guard hairs which are what repels water, shades from the sun, ect...

7mm will be short, but not skinned. It may or may not be enough fur to shade the dog's skin from the sun so I would not leave it outside without shade.
I would say that it shed. But it's really hard to say. It seems that up on the neck there's a little undercoat/uppercoat. And rest of the body is just one type of universal fur.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Doesn't solve the problem. :frown2:
It will kill the fleas on the dog whereas shaving the dog will not.

I had a coworker whose mother chose to shave their cats and dogs in lieu of flea meds. All that netted her was a major house infestation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already trimed his tail, which was mated, full of fleas etc. And now his tail is flea free. Because I'm able to properly wash it.

Rest of his body is untouched and flea infested. I'm not able to wash it, they get stuck inside fur. I already tried 3 different brands of flea shampoo, Dawn and also stuff like a vineager... . I doesn't go properly inside fur, they don't die, I'm not able to wash them out. I need shorter hairs.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Hold on. A dog doesn’t need to have super short hair in order for the flea shampoo to work.

When you wash your dog in the flea shampoo, suds him up and let the shampoo sit on him for several minutes before rinsing. If you let it sit long enough, it will kill the fleas. The dead fleas do have a tendency to stick in the coat, so either get a force dryer or a flea comb to get them out.

Also, thoroughly wet down your dog so the shampoo reaches his skin.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Dilute some of the shampoo in a squirt bottle of warm water. This makes it easier to get it down to the skin. Lather and let it soak for 5 - 10 minutes. If the dog's coat is matted you can use a slicker brush and brush through prior to rinsing. The shampoo will make it easier to remove any loose undercoat.

Shampoo will kill whatever fleas are on the dog, but if there are fleas in the environment the dog will just get re-infested.

A picture of the dog would be helpful in assessing the type and condition of its coat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, at friday I let shampoo sit on him for 30 minutes (although bottle said 5 - 10 minutes is enough). Then I washed him with clean water. I was able to see a tons of fleas inside his fur, but water would not wash them out of fur (they weren't moving at that point, but stayed inside coat). I guess there could be like 500 fleas on his body.

On the afternoon, 6 hours later, they were happily walking around... . I'm dealing with it for a month already and I'm not able to get him clean for even 1 hour. Not even talking about possible contamination later from his sleeping space etc. I'm not even able to deal with fleas on him! Short coat would be such a help. :(

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I know you are asking specifically about shaving and blade length, but maybe before doing that, there is a pill that you can give that will kill all fleas on the dog for 24 hrs, I can't remember the name of it but @Magwart will know and maybe your vet can prescribe it. At least it will clear them out for certain for 24 hrs.

I usually stay out of recommending flea meds but it sounds like you've been battling this with poor results. If it were me, and the only options were shaving vs the med to get rid of the fleas, I would go for the med in this case. Just mho

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I know you are asking specifically about shaving and blade length, but maybe before doing that, there is a pill that you can give that will kill all fleas on the dog for 24 hrs, I can't remember the name of it but @Magwart will know and maybe your vet can prescribe it. At least it will clear them out for certain for 24 hrs.

I usually stay out of recommending flea meds but it sounds like you've been battling this with poor results. If it were me, and the only options were shaving vs the med to get rid of the fleas, I would go for the med in this case. Just mho

Capstar is what you are thinking of? I would try more long term solution, we just battled a flea infestation and it took 2 months of consecutive treatment of the animals. Capstar really only works if you know the dog won't be reinfected after 24 hours and you can bomb the house and yard.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
You’re seeing fleas six hours later because you have them in your yard and/or house.

I’d treat with him with Capstar, get him away from your property for the day while you treat the house and yard. Then get him on a flea preventative like the seresto collar.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Some breeds are clipped or shaved due to tangling but it depends on the breed. I’ve never heard of shaving to resolve flea infestations. If you have fleas in the yard or carpets, they will jump on you if they leave the dog. If you aren’t sure, go to a good groomer and let them give the dog a flea dip. They will know how to reach the fleas and eggs close to the skin. Treat the yard and the house.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I’ve been a groomer for 40+ years. If you take your dog in, they’ll give your dog a bath in flea shampoo, and blow dry it. Nothing magic at the grooming shop unfortunately! Though customers think you have a magic wand hidden away, and frankly sometimes I want one, lol.

Treat your house, yard and dog at the same time, or you’ll just be spinning your wheels. I haven’t had customers with flea problems in quite a while. The couple that did, have had great success with the Seresto collars.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I suggested a groomer because the OP could not get to the skin. Are there bathing techniques that can help? I bathe my own dogs, get them very lathered everywhere, let it sit on them, then make sure I rinse thoroughly.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I suggested a groomer because the OP could not get to the skin. Are there bathing techniques that can help? I bathe my own dogs, get them very lathered everywhere, let it sit on them, then make sure I rinse thoroughly.

Nope, you’re doing it the way we (groomers) do it!

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I'm with Dogfairies -- I do the same thing.

Get a Kong Zoom Groom for bathing -- it helps reach the skin. I've never needed to shave a dog, and I've worked with many filthy, flea-covered rescues. They need their coats for temp regulation, even in summer.

I always Capstar flea-ridden dogs just as I pull them from the shelter. It's off patent with lots of generic equivalents--with names like Cap Guard and Fast Caps, including one sold at Walmart for under $15 for a 6-pack. The active ingredient is Nitenpyram. It's cheap enough to keep it on hand for flea emergencies. It starts working for me on the drive home from the shelter --fast. It gives you a day to bathe, spray your environment, and get good prevention prescribed from the vet on board.

I bathe with Natural Chemistry's De-Flea shampoo or Wondercide's shampoo bar. Then when fully dry, I dose the monthly prevention.

You have to spray at least every two weeks outside to break the life cycle. The spay doesn't kill eggs, so they keep hatching unless you spray them before they lay more eggs. I love Wondercide's yard spray (cedar oil-based), but it really needs to be used weekly. Or regular yard spay can be found at Home Depot or Lowes sold in a hose attachment. You just turn on the spigot and spray--super easy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts