German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 year old sheperd has her hip and back shaved from surgery to remove two large sebacious cysts. She is an outdoor dog, who has recently decided she can't stand being inside the insulated garage - she tears everything up and paws at concrete floor. Due to the surgery she is wearing the lamp sshade collar to prevent her from chewing the wounds. Stiched have been removed but she keeps chewing the spots if I remove the collar. With the collar on she can't move or get turned around in her crate - so the crate is out. Right now she is staying on the screened in porch, which she enjoys but I'm concerned about the cold on the shaved spots. How long will it take for her hair to grow back and how cold is too cold.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Will she wear a t-shirt or coat? That may help get her thru the cold spell. I think it will take a few weeks or so for the coat to be thick enough to protect her.
Because of her age, I would be concerned. She can't come inside while she recovers? Sounds like she is bored in the garage...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
inside

I would love to bring her inside if she could be crated when no one is here, but since she won't fit it the crate with the lamp shade collar on I can't. While she is about to be 12 she still acts like 12 weeks, she will chew anything she can get to as soon as she is left alone inside. She doesn't mind being alone outside and used to not mind the insulated garage, but about a 2 months ago she started hating the garage. Even chewed the brake and gear cables off my sons new bike. Learned to open garage door on her own (lever handle) It would be funny if it weren't for the cold weather. So right now she has a bed on the screened porch, which protects ger from wind and rain, but not cold

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
How cold is it where you are? Welcome to the board by the way!
You can put your general location in your profile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts