German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who knew we had a lovely dog park barely 5 miles from our home? Certainly not I, but it turned up in a Google search my husband made a few days ago. This morning he popped his head in and said, let's go and so we did.

Since we have the luxury of being able to go on a weekday morning, the park was empty when we got there. Not long after "Earl" arrived with his human. Earl is a terrier mix, I'm guessing 12 pounds max. When we saw how small Earl was, we leashed Shasta because, although she is NOT at all aggressive, she is dog reactive and when she barks her hackles go up and she sounds something fierce!

So I was pleasantly surprised when Earl's human invited us to go ahead and let her off leash. He said Earl would let Shasta know if she was being too exuberant. I was a little nervous about it - a 50 pound puppy could inflict some damage on a little dog pretty quickly just trying to be friendly - but my husband took off her leash and...

She was great. She was excited and bouncing around, but you could see she was trying to be careful around the smaller dog. And, like his human said, Earl wasn't shy about telling Shasta to back off when she got a little too boisterous. Even when Earl ran in the opposite direction, Shasta ran "with" him, but she didn't run "after" him. In other words, she didn't look as though she was running down her next meal.

As we were leaving, we ran into a couple of other dogs, a lab/shepherd mix (looked 100% lab to use) and and adult dog of indeterminate breed, both of whom Shasta greeted without incident.

All in all, it was a great outing and we'll be going again. It's close enough so that we can easily go a couple of times a week.

Yay!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang it, I wish I could edit the typo in my title. :(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
that sounds very good!!! congrats to your Shasta for her good behavior!!! i try to take Shelby and Shasta to the dog park on base as often as i can and they did very well last time we went. Could have been better but wasnt bad! As long as your Shasta has a good time and behaves and everyone is cool i say keep it up!!!! its a good energy release and you get to talk with other dog owners as well!!!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just glad the place was almost deserted!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
How lucky you can go on a weekday when it isn't pack! It sounds like she did great. I would just caution you to really keep an eye out on other dogs (especially if it's crowded). There always seems to be a least one jerk there that has an aggressive dog and let's it terrorize all the others. ONe bad experience can imprint a puppy for life. But if you get to go on weekday mornings it will probably be perfect!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm glad Shasta had a good time and behaved well. It sounds like Earl was just the right playmate to start the time off with!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just noticed you are a master member so I'm sure you already know all that stuff about dog parks! Sorry! :)
I don't know what a master member even is but I'm a newbie GSD owner, so don't feel bad about offering advice; I appreciate all of it. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts