German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...it's been a while since I posted anything about Shasta; here's an update.

She is finally off antibiotics for staph. She went through 3...cephalexin, amoxicillin and finally a sulpha drug. She had her last dose last Thursday and so far so good. I'm still not 100 percent certain what the underlying allergy (or allergies) is. Wheat seems to make her itchy so we've completely eliminated that, but I'm not sure that's the only thing.

So I'm continuing with the weekly baths with the medicated shampoo. I'm not sure if it helps, but on the other hand, it can't hurt...right? On the bright side of that, Shasta is getting to be really well-behaved in the bath. She climbs in the tub all by herself and stands nicely most of the time. Every cloud has a silver lining, right?

For those of you who remember my desperate cries for HELP! NOW! well, those days are mostly past and I can see in Shasta the beginnings of the dog I've always wanted. She's so sweet and she stays pretty much glued to either me or my husband. Last week at the dog park, someone mentioned how focused she was on us. She plays with the other dogs (nicely!) but she checks in with us frequently. She's even pretty good with the little dogs (but that will be the topic of another post). When she runs with them, it actually looks like she's running with them and not, you know, running them down.

Unfortunately, the "focused on us" thing doesn't necessarily translate to focusing on us during training. She seems to be overly distractable BUT we're still making progress. I do need to get back to working on the basics; she's getting a little sloppy. But it's much more funner to teach tricks!

And she's a head turner! People stop their cars when we're out walking to ask about her. She's getting pretty big, too; somewhere around 21 or 22 inches at the withers (it's hard to measure, she won't stand still) and weighs 56 or so pounds. She loves everyone! Of course that doesn't mean she won't jump on them and bite them but they're mostly little nibbles now, which is good since she has all her big girl teeth now.

I think that's all I have to say, so here's a picture of my big girl.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Paula she is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I'm glad things are getting better. My Shasta weighed in at 43.6 lbs when i weighed her last week. Gonna check it again sometime this week. I'm actually taking a leave of absence from work to get caught back up on housework and to work on training. the dogs have gotten sloppy and i need to work seriously on Shasta's behavior. She needs more focus than she has so we're gonna work heavily on that. We were praticing Stays out in the driveway yesterday with distractions and after a little bit she started getting the fact she was NOT in control. She did good. I think training the behavior and then doing it with distractions is going to be the best way to go for her.

I seriously cant get over how dark your Shasta has gotten since i saw pictures last!!!! She's simply gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Wow she is looking soooo beautiful :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Paula,
She looks great! Glad things are settling down a bit....enjoy the next round of "something" is around the corner! ;)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
She is just gorgeous! So glad the two of you are finding a common ground, you certainly have been through a lot together.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone! You all can't imagine how much your support has helped us!

I forgot to mention a couple of things. First, we switched foods from BB to Nutro, which has been a big help in firming up Shasta's stools.

Second, my husband is interested in getting involved in schutzhund. I'm not completely thrilled about that so I gave him the phone number for the local club and am waiting to see if anything comes of it.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
From what you've said about her, it sounds like she'd be great at it! And yeah to husband's who want to train!!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
She really is very beautiful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts