German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shasta has been listless and off her food since Monday morning. She usually eats around 6 cups of food a day...she's only been eating 1-1/2 cups or so. She's been drinking water and peeing, stools are firm, no vomiting.

There's an almost 0% chance she ate something she shouldn't have.

She is at the vet right now. Her temp is 103.6. Her mucous membranes are "tacky and muddy." Heart rate is 160.

They are going to start IV fluids, give her an antibiotic injection and something to calm the gut. They are going to pull blood and send it out to a lab where they can check her electrolytes. They may take x-rays.

Of course, I'm worried sick. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Is her nose runny, coughing, nasal or eye discharge? Is she up to date on shots? Temp is a little high indicating infection and/or stress but with no symptoms that is weird. Any limping or possibility of injury?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is her nose runny, coughing, nasal or eye discharge? Is she up to date on shots? Temp is a little high indicating infection and/or stress but with no symptoms that is weird. Any limping or possibility of injury?
Eyes are a little goopy. No coughing, or nasal discharge. No injury that we're aware of. Yes, she's up to date on shots. One thing I forgot to mention is that they said her abdomen was tense but she didn't react like it was painful.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I would suspect infection with those symptoms. Hopefully they'll figure out what's going on and she will be quickly on the mend!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
poor shasta! hope she gets well soon

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
If her abdomen is tense and she's not eating/lethargic, could it be bloat?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If her abdomen is tense and she's not eating/lethargic, could it be bloat?
I don't know...if it's bloat, I'm sure the vet will figure that out. Could that go on for several days? I thought that was acute.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone, for your well wishes. I'm finding this is just as stressful as having a sick child. :(

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bloat is acute and is accompanied by restlessness and usually vomiting or attempts to vomit. It progresses very quickly.
Thanks, that is what I thought.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Shasta, feel better!!! At least this didn't happen on a holiday. Hope your vet figures it out after the blood work comes back.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing yet. I don't really expect to hear anything until after 4:00 Pacific, which is when they said they would get results back on the blood work. I'm not having a very good day. :(

Thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Get well soon Shasta. Poor girl and poor Mom too.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
sending positive vibes shasta's way:))

·
Registered
288 Posts
good thoughts coming your way.... it is very stressful to have a sick pet. Hope they find out what is wrong soon.... and Shasta will be on the road to recovery.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just curious...is Shasta spayed? If not, has she been recently in heat? Dogs do sometimes can infections of the uterus, they are often time in sync with the end of heat cycle. You'll see all of the symptoms you are currently seeing, and eventually there will be draining from the vulva. Although usually this occurs with much older dogs, it could be a possibility (unless of course she's spayed, duh!). Sending out hugs to you & Shasta for a fast recovery from whatever it is!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts