1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
open windows? spray air freshener? I dunno lol I've never had a dog in heat

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I'm guessing this is her first heat? Are you waiting until she is older to spay?

I like the idea of waiting until dogs are 1-2 years old before spaying/neutering but I am getting a female GSD next year and I dont know if I can handle going through a heat cycle :wild:.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing this is her first heat? Are you waiting until she is older to spay?

I like the idea of waiting until dogs are 1-2 years old before spaying/neutering but I am getting a female GSD next year and I dont know if I can handle going through a heat cycle :wild:.
No, actually, we intended to have her spayed before her first heat cycle but she was on and off antibiotics so many times the timing didn't work out. It hasn't been that bad but today, suddenly, the smell is overpowering.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
No, actually, we intended to have her spayed before her first heat cycle but she was on and off antibiotics so many times the timing didn't work out. It hasn't been that bad but today, suddenly, the smell is overpowering.
Oh.

Do you mind if I ask you some questions?

I have never had to deal with a female in heat but since I want to have a female next year, I would like to know how your girl is acting? Is there alot of blood? Exactly how bad is the smell? :eek: hahaha

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
when shelby was in heat she wore diapers, was sprayed constantly with a doggie freshener (which BTW didnt help much but i can only imagine the smell had we NOT been using it!) and she chose to spend the majority of her month in her crate with the door open sleeping and avoiding everyone. Dont blame her. I like to avoid everyone when i'm on my period too but good god she smelled horrible. In all honesty if i could have allowed her to stay outside and known nothing would happen and no males would be able to access her, she would have lived out there for the month. You could try a bath but i dont know how much good that would do.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
We didn't have any smell with Nikki's first heat. Do you think there may be a possibility of an infection?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Oh.

I have never had to deal with a female in heat but since I want to have a female next year, I would like to know how your girl is acting? Is there alot of blood? Exactly how bad is the smell? :eek: hahaha
I can help u there as my little Karma ( not so little anymore ) went into heat for the very first time a week ago.

We are at week 2 now.

There is NO smell. ??????????????????????????????????????

Mild blood spotting on the tiles only. Blood is very watery.

She seems very lethargic and sleeps alot and whilst I was told she would be goofy and to forget training until she stopped her cycle.....yesterday her focus was perfect and I taught her a near perfect HEEL ( as per TAB29 youtube video where he uses the chair ) in about 3 minutes ! :eek:

She is as affectionate as ever but my housekeeper has said during the day she is very relaxed and not as hyper. I have not been taking her to work but have had her under house arrest where she is safe from ...er....men.

Last night there was a lot of low level whining going on right outside my window like " please daddy letme into the bedroom ".

Other than that - she is business as usual !

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
There is no smell with Zoe's heats either could she have a yeast infection? The real blood is short lived and never too heavy especially when using the diaper pad things- we change them 2-3 times a day. I'm glad she finally went since I know you were antsy for it to begin and be over with,lol See it's not that bad though sorry about the smell thats odd?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh.

She is acting fairly normal other than wanting to go outside to pee all the freaking time and there is a lot of extra whining. There is definitely enough blood that she needs the panties with a pad inserted and she is on her 10th day of bleeding.

Before today, there was no smell other than what you might expect if she needed to be freshened up and the pad changed but when we got up today, there was quite a strong smell. I can't describe it for you other than to day it was not pleasant. I gave her a bath and that helped considerably.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
With most of my dogs there is no smell, certainly not overpowering. I always thought people were nuts. Figments of their imagination. The idea of bleeding makes them smell something foul.

But then came Joy. Joy has a powerful odor when she is in heat. Last time, and this time. I figure I can just wait it out. Once she is out of heat, she will get groomed.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Oh yuck! I've not been around very many bitches in heat but I don't recall any of them having such a strong odor. I sure hope Nyxie doesn't get all stinky when she goes into heat. I can only imagine what Shasta smells like - poor you!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know, that horrible odor hasn't returned since I bathed Shasta. I don't know anything about yeast infections...I guess I don't need to worry about it if the smell doesn't come back...right?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts