German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smokey is now 5 months old. He has a lot of his adult teeth as well as multiple baby teeth still in. The result looks like shark teeth with 2 rows of teeth. We have 2 baby teeth that fell out and from what we can tell he hasn't lost any other baby teeth. Both of those were lost with quite a bit of bleeding (not crazy amounts just noticeable). He doesn't chew much either. We've given him several toys and bones to chew hoping that the extra chewing might help. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
How many teeth are there with both the adult and baby tooth in the same spot? Is it the canine teeth?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Katsu kept her top two baby canines until she was about 7 months old. I had called to made an appointment with the vet to take a look and the day of the appointment she lost them. If they don't look to be impacting the bite much, I would wait until 8 months to see if they fall out on their own, but you can always get an opinion from the vet. Some may thing that's too long to wait.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My pup at 6 mths had to have dental surgery to have a plate fitted to force the adult bottom canines into the correct position due to the fact that her puppy canines had not fallen out in time.
Which caused her adult canines to come through on the inside of the puppy canines.

The adult canines were just starting to puncture the roof of her mouth. Check the mouth for puncture marks, if you see any then I'd ask your vet to refer you to a orthodontist veterinary surgeon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts