German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I will be bringing home our new puppy. We already have a 15 month old ShihTzu. She has a crate and is very mild mannered. I was wondering if it would be ok to crate them together provided they get along? Since Dazey (ShihTzu) is housebroken would it be helpful for Argo (new puppy) to be close to her? Would he learn anything? I also figured it would give them both some great company at night.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would just put two crates next to each other for company. Crates should be like a little private den they can escape to but that's a little difficult with a second dog inhabiting that space too.
:] Just my opinion!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same thing. I liked my sibling much better when our rooms were next to each other than when we shared a room. Lol.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
Poor Shih Tzu can't escape from a puppy. Never put two dogs in one crate. If a fight brakes out, they can't get away.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I agree. It is ok if they choose to go into an open crate together but never closed up in one.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The puppy needs to be in the crate by itself, and he must learn that he needs to follow you. If your puppy is raised by another dog, it will take its cues from the dog. Dogs bond very closely to each other - you want to be #1 for the puppy; not your other dog. Crate separately, limit free run together, train separately, bond separately. The small dog is also a puppy - not good to let one dog raise another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts