German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I would think so as long as it doesn't start drying the skin out.

It's not really neccesary unless she's in the mud and dirt every day.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My dog is 19 months and has had 2 baths. The vet says her coat is wonderful and I don't want to push that. She really doesn't do anything that gets her dirty and she doesn't smell. She is a very low maintenance GSD, I only brush her every now and then, she just doesn't need it. If you think your dog needs it, just make sure the shampoo used is gentle enough to be used all the time.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl is the same. She doesn't smell and her coat is the softest of any GSD I've had.

I mean silky soft like she's been to a hairdresser or something. All of my other GSD's had medium to coarse hair/fur.

Maybe it's the salmon oil

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a dog that loves to dig and get covered in dirt/mud. Sometimes I just hose him down in the tub or do a light wash. It's about 1 a month or every three weeks. :) Between baths I use doggy wipes (I use pethead) to wipe off muddy paws and legs (rainy Washington so tons of mud).

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I consider once a month too much - others will tell you it is fine and part of their grooming routine. If you have been giving Saleen baths on a monthly basis, and she is fine with a good coat, all is well.

If her coat seems dry and brittle, the frequent bathing could be drying it out.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
As long as you are using a mild, gentle shampoo that doesn't strip the oils out of the coat, you can bathe as often as you want. Personally, I only bathe mine when she needs it (every couple months or so) but I have clients who bring their GSDs to me once a month. I think every 3-4 weeks is about the maximum I would recommend, unless the dog gets very dirty or there is a skin condition needing specialized shampoo.

I use professional grooming shampoos at my salon, but Earthbath is a nice, mild shampoo that is widely available to consumers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts