German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay , so for the past 3 night when I go to lay down for bed , my Shepherd within the first 15 minutes of me laying down , she jumps up on me bed , goes to the window , and starts panting and shaking. Its not a normal pant either , its much more accelerated than usual. I cant figure out anything for the life of me. She has been to the vet and is healthy as can be. She doesnt have to go to the bathroom because I let her out and she jus sits there and looks at me. So when I push her off the bed because I cant sleep with the heavy breathing and shaking , she whines and starts to nudge me with her nose. Her nose is very moist and her ears seem warm to the touch , well , warmer than normal. She is not hot as it is about 60 degrees inside the house and mid 40's to mid 30's outside. She never has done anything like this before. I lit a fire in the fireplace for the first time 3 nights ago and I wonder if that is having some sort of effect on her? Weird thing is she sleeps right next to it while it is going and I put it out a good hour or 2 before I go to sleep. I have tried massaging her to calm her down , and I have also taken a night and tried to ignore her and let her deal with her problem and go through the process. Neither one seemed to work. Tonight I will be sleeping in the Living room on the couch next to where the fire is to see if it makes a difference. If anybody has any ideas , PLEASE let me know. I have only gotten about 4 hours of sleep the last 2 nights. She sleeps all afternoon while I go to work. Thank you for any answers tips advice ANYTHING.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought I would add on that she is about 4 and a half years old and Spayed and up to date on all shots.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
carbon monoxide levels safe? Fireplaces will draw out the drafts for ventilation, maybe it is pulling gas from your water heater or furnace?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It definitely sounds like something is stressing her out. You might want to try crating her and see how that goes.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
From what you have written, it does sound related to the fire.

If it's not related to the fire, curious if you are in an area where there mountain lions or other critters that she might be smelling? My old girl would get stressed when the mountain lions traveled up and down the river that is close by.

Does her abdomen feel tight at all?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carbon monoxide is fine...Its a wood burning fireplace , havent had the gas heater on , and the water heater is in the garage. Plus the 3 other dogs dont seemed to be bothered by it at all.

The next step is probably to crate her as said by Elaine. She hasnt been in a crate in probably 2 years. She used to sleep in it all the time and then she just all together stopped.

There is all types of things, bears, mountain lions, deer, coyotees, wolves and mean Owls too. We see deer all the time , they eat the fruit off the tree in the front yard so I dont think its the deer. Her abdomen doesnt feel tight.

-Quick Question LisaT... How long did your girl used to have the heavy breathing and shaking when she did smell an animal outside? Was it just like 45 min or would it go on all night? Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Mine go weird during full moon and when I think coyotes travel thru the hood. I do not really have any advice other than keep trying different things. You said she goes to the window so I wonder if that is related? If she is not doing it in other rooms then it is something in your room.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Maybe she is breathing in the ash from the fire that tends to fly out. I have a wood burning fireplace and there is some tiny bits of ash on the hearth when I am done, and you can see some of the hot pieces fly out sometimes. Since she is sleeping next to the fire, could this be it?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? I'm pretty sure that flames will still put off carbon monoxide regardless if there is gas or not. There's no way to tell for sure unless you have an alarm.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
the next time she acts that way leash her and walk around your house.
then walk around outside (while leashed) and see what she does.

Okay , so for the past 3 night when I go to lay down for bed , my Shepherd within the first 15 minutes of me laying down , she jumps up on me bed , goes to the window , and starts panting and shaking. Its not a normal pant either , its much more accelerated than usual. I cant figure out anything for the life of me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? I'm pretty sure that flames will still put off carbon monoxide regardless if there is gas or not. There's no way to tell for sure unless you have an alarm.
Very good point , I will have to look into this.

Also , I dont think its the ash because we have some fireplace screens on the fireplace and they are closed, but I will def watch her next time we have a fire going.

Just wanted to also say thanks to everyone , I definitely appreciate all the help and ideas.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Ty, with my girl, the first time, she would just lay in the middle of the floor and looked like she was in pain (ears back, stressed, etc). She also refused to go outside at that time. After almost a week of that behaviour, I even took her to the vet because I didn't know what was wrong. Right away he guessed the mountain lions - guess he read about them in the locval paper.

As years went by, the signs were more subtle when they would pass through. The reaction to the coyotes was not as extreme.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok , Thanks LisaT. I guess the only real difference in our cases is that my girl goes outside and just sits at the gate. I dont know if its animals or what , but i wont have a fire going all week so we will see if any changes occur. Glad to know that she settled and doesnt stress the mountain lions so much anymore.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Ok, I have to comment on this thread. My dog Chama went through this exact same thing! She would wake up panting and restless and insist on going outside and then would just stand there staring out the gate. We bought her a new, really comfy bed and tried just about everything but the same thing happened every single night. I don't remember how long it went on but it was enough that I made a short film about it! We joked that she was waiting for the Mother Ship. :crazy:

It did happen after her two pack mates had died (a year apart) so we wondered if it might be grieving.

I finally figured out that she had a food allergy! She was eating a turkey based food and I switched her off of it (for some other reason) and all of the crazy night stuff stopped! The behaviors did not directly coincide with a food switch but she must have developed an intolerance to turkey somewhere along the way.

Just food for thought...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay , so last night she fell asleep before me , and I snuck in my room and laid down without creating any noises or anything. THEN 2:15 rolled around and i feel hot breath and a wet nose on my arm. So , I tried about everything I know. I crated her. 2 rooms away she was still loud , whining , and clawing at the crate door. So then I Started working her , just putting her through some basic obedience , sit down stay come etc. to see if i could change her state of mind. She did well but panted through the whole thing and nothing happened. SO then I had someone else lay down with her on the couch , I slept but they didnt due to her panting , and then she came back in my room after about an hour of them holding her in the living room on a leash.

So , I am going to change her off of her food and see if she is not liking the chicken based food that she is on as suggested by BowWowMeow. Thank you for the story. I am willing to try ANYTHING. Good to see you had a good attitude about it joking about the mothership.lol. The symptoms sound EXACTLY alike so I am praying the food swap will work. THank you again for the help and suggestions. Ill update tomorrow. Trying a few added things with the food swap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts