German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reasonably new to GSD, and have a 1 1/2 old male I got when he was 9 months.

He has grown very attached to me. When I'm outside or in the garage, he follows me dutifully EVERYWHERE I go :smile2: Day or night, regardless of weather conditions. Also in the house by not as much when we are outside.

I'm not complaining, but are most GSD's like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
He is guarding you like a sheep. He is a Shepherd :)

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Yes, mine follow me around like baby ducks.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Literally how Shadow got her name (although I still secretly prefer Lucy). After all these years of having shepherds in the house I have grow accustom to the total lack of privacy. Sabi despised closed doors between us and would simply open them and then retreat to a tolerable distance, I frequently tripped over Bud and Lex needed to be attached to my left leg and was fond of trying to shower with me. Shadow pitches fits if I close my bedroom door and has pulled the shower curtain down a few times, yet suffers no separation anxiety. She will go to her crate on command, never fusses when I leave and can even sleep in her crate at night in the other room, as long as my door remains open. It seems to be simply an ingrained need they have to keep us in sight at all times.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Literally how Shadow got her name (although I still secretly prefer Lucy). After all these years of having shepherds in the house I have grow accustom to the total lack of privacy. Sabi despised closed doors between us and would simply open them and then retreat to a tolerable distance, I frequently tripped over Bud and Lex needed to be attached to my left leg and was fond of trying to shower with me. Shadow pitches fits if I close my bedroom door and has pulled the shower curtain down a few times, yet suffers no separation anxiety. She will go to her crate on command, never fusses when I leave and can even sleep in her crate at night in the other room, as long as my door remains open. It seems to be simply an ingrained need they have to keep us in sight at all times.
Good to hear. Elvis is exactly the same. He suffers no separation anxiety. goes to his crate, never barks or makes a fuss when I go out. He's gentle with my 2 cats and good with other dogs.

I really lucked out in getting him, in fact I feel lucky each day in having him in my life

Attachments

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I live alone, except for my two German shepherds and my cat. When I go to the bathroom, I am usually followed by at least one of them, if not all 3!

The cat thinks it's a great time to get some undivided petting and attention! He's also the one most likely to shove the door open if it didn't latch it properly.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Gorgeous! Yeah they are known to be shadows. watching over the flock lol! One time I shut them out of my bedroom there were right outside with there nose sniffing under the cracks. Midnight drinks of water etc. I will have a following. I recently had surgery so have to sleep on the couch upright. I took a photo in the middle of the night. My gsds always close by- max on the love seat and Luna on the chair. have a chihuahua -topper who does not do this but he is like a seeking missle as soon as someones butt hits the couch. He will lie on me and gaze right into my eyes..
I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live alone, except for my two German shepherds and my cat. When I go to the bathroom, I am usually followed by at least one of them, if not all 3!

The cat thinks it's a great time to get some undivided petting and attention! He's also the one most likely to shove the door open if it didn't latch it properly.
ha ha...I also live alone but with 2 cats and my GSD.

It's nice to see all these responses, it kinda normalizes things :smile2:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ha ha, Rumo is very polite and he never pushes doors...
but his nose will always be there in the open crack, too!

He has trained me to always leave the door open a bit for him...
after all, something could HAPPEN to me when I am in the shower or when I brush my teeth?

He also keeps me in sight all day, even though I consider myself one of the The Most Boring People To Watch in the World.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I’ve lived with 2 GSDs, both never left/leave my side - indoors. Outside seems to be a whole nother ball game. So far mine have been indoor shadows only.

Found out on one hike that Xiao Mei’s recall was not, after all, perfect - she and her buddy disappeared after a deer and were gone all day. They returned at supper time, ravenous and none the worse for their adventure. She would certainly have done it again, given the chance. Indoors she followed me around the house, and never left me unless we had guests. She tended to follow guests if they went into a different room. She never tried to actually herd people, but she would go back and forth keeping an eye on everyone until we were all in the same room again.

Last year Beau slipped out a gate I didn’t know was open, and got a couple of city blocks before I realized what had happened. Luckily he was still within earshot and came home at once when I called for him. It’s clear he would be happy to explore the neighborhood without me. He will not leave me indoors unless I’ve told him to go with someone else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts