German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Taking her with me is not possible. The drive would be 3 days, across the prairies in the worst part of the winter. A plane ride would probably give her a heart attack, lol.
I will still be looking for property and now that I have a safe place to live I can go back to my original plan instead of needing to buy a house in town.
I love Shadows tippy ear. It's just her. I know that it signals me that she needs to slow down and relax. And no other dog has her same ear!
She is 9 now and for all the health issues and setbacks she still acts puppyish enough that people are shocked when I tell them she is that old. I suppose it has something to do with her size as well.
She is a bit heavier then I would like, but still in good shape. We still get a couple of miles a day in on our walks and for all the nay sayers I have NEVER trimmed this dogs nails! She has a couple that are longer then I would like but her nails are hard and in good shape. She uses them to climb stuff.
That horrid wretching/hacking/coughing that I am so sure is related to her heart is much better and less frequent.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
We have a couple of months to sort this out, at least. Made some calls today while I was calm and got some answers.
I am debating if I want to leave her loose in my bedroom tonight while I work. I have an 8 hour shift. I know she is good in her crate and I honestly am not certain that she is better off loose. Keeping her anxiety in mind, she feels safe in her crate and often asks to go in there if she is stressed. I am wary about leaving her loose at all, and certainly could not risk the whole apartment. She may be fine in the bedroom or she may just flip right out. I know that for a short time she stays calm, I've left her loose before just never for the length of time I will be gone tonight.
She's a good girl. No worries about any destruction or mess, just her getting anxious OR climbing stuff and getting hurt.
Currently I close the curtains, turn on a radio and leave a light on. The upstairs tenant is EXTREMELY noisy and smashes the floor continuously when she is home. It startles Shadow often but when I'm home she just comes to me. Left on her own I'm not sure how she would react. I know she climbs stuff, and I know she uses that particular talent to escape when she gets spooked.
I'm leaning toward just keeping her in the crate.
It was not an option to leave her loose in the house, to many things for her to climb (remember this is the dog that climbed up onto the fridge in 2 minutes), but I was thinking in this small apartment it may be possible.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well, in just a couple of days she has chewed that %@#& leg bloody again and as of this morning is limping, badly. On her OTHER front leg! I swear trying to keep this dog healthy and injury free for more then a minute is a full time job. Good thing she's cute.
Humidifier is definitely helping itching, thank you SO much! She still scratches, but nothing abnormal or excessive.

I left her loose for about an hour the other day and when I came in she was curled up in my chair hiccupping and drooling. Ears down, trembling. She breaks my heart this dog. It would be cute that she hiccups if it wasn't caused by fear and stress.
Oh well, spring is coming and she usually improves come springtime.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Glad it helped and yes Spring is closer every day. Wish we could just explain to them what's going on.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts