German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
I had an Italian Greyhound that could catch birds. Theres nothing like coming home to a bird explosion in the living room (perils of a dog door). He did it in front of me one time. Just plucked that wren out of the air. I don’t like them killing anything either, so I yelled “drop it!!” He instantly let it go and the bird flew into the bushes. Good boy for listening!

Glad Shadow is enjoying herself. She sounds like quite the character.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Crios catches birds out of the air on a weekly bases. Which is fine by me, they are crows, and the cawing amps my nerves up. They just sound like they are screaming at you constantly. He has a gross habit of burying it for a few days, then digging it up to eat. No fresh birds for him. Makes my stomach heave when I see it.

I’m so happy to hear that Shadow is feeling better, no advice on the sneezing, we do scent work indoors to keep the dogs out of the heat. Haven’t started tracking yet. Hope you get the answers you’re looking for. How is everything else going?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
We are settling into a routine, life is good at the moment.

Crows are probably one of my favorite birds, bad Crios! Lol. They have a habit of following me around and interacting with me.

Shadow is without a doubt one of the most entertaining dogs I have ever had. She really throws herself at life. It makes it all the harder when she is doing poorly but at the moment she is doing really well.
I was forced to switch her back to the grain free formula of her food, which is causing some stomach upset, but not horrible, and a lot of shedding. Some of the shedding is just because it's dog building season. It's a temporary switch, I hope! I just can't find her food here. And the price here is brutal! I need to contact the company and see what the heck is up with that.
She is desperately looking for snakes this morning. So I was doing some training to refocus her and she decided to hunt grassshoppers instead. She's crazy.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I just keep getting kicked in the face!
Settling in in my apartment in North Bay and I get a call that WCB wants to fly me back to Alberta for some freakin medical assessment! Because apparently Ontario has no doctors?
Now what to do with my unvaccinated, intact, fear aggressive dog, health issue of a dog? I don't know anyone here that I trust enough to leave her with and boarding is obviously out. Pet sitter maybe but still, if Shadow panics and bolts I'm screwed.
I am waiting for them to schedule appointment and give me details. Three days is all I can give them.
Upside, other then horrendously itchy (electric heat) Shadow is doing amazing. Coughing episodes have all but stopped, once or twice a week maybe, she is a bit edgy in a new neighborhood and in the city but doing fantastic on walks. Even gave some of the neighbors kisses, Lol. Been off the NEM for 3 weeks and no limping yet. Still on Magnesium. Not really by choice just very few places to get NEM here. And the one guy would sell to me because it was for a dog and he "needs to make sure that he has stock for people".
Beautiful Dobe around the corner, but he barks and scares poor Punk nearly frantic. Owner says he's just an a-hole. Hahaha.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Oh no. I don't have any advice, just wanted to say I'm sorry you are facing stressful travel. I hope you find a trustworthy person to come to your home to watch her for a few days. What about the Dobe's owner or one of the neighbor's that she likes enough to give kisses? Wishing you the best! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is there anyway you can talk to someone "higher up" and explain the fact that you are in Ontario & this is not a option at the moment to travel back? I do payroll for a company & we have a person who works for us, who technically lives in Alberta, injured in the Yukon, but see's doctors here in Ontario & it all seems to run fine through the Yukon's Workers Compensation Health & Safety Board (YWCHSB, they win the prize for the most letters in their acronym!). You could also try to call the local Workers Safety Insurance Board (WSIB) office in North Bay (416) 344-1000, (same thing in Ontario as WCB is to Alberta) & see if they have any agreements with other provincial boards or ideas that the assessment could be organized in Ontario and sent to Alberta.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Is there anyway you can talk to someone "higher up" and explain the fact that you are in Ontario & this is not a option at the moment to travel back? I do payroll for a company & we have a person who works for us, who technically lives in Alberta, injured in the Yukon, but see's doctors here in Ontario & it all seems to run fine through the Yukon's Workers Compensation Health & Safety Board (YWCHSB, they win the prize for the most letters in their acronym!). You could also try to call the local Workers Safety Insurance Board (WSIB) office in North Bay (416) 344-1000, (same thing in Ontario as WCB is to Alberta) & see if they have any agreements with other provincial boards or ideas that the assessment could be organized in Ontario and sent to Alberta.
When they call again I will try and explain my issue. I have an anxiety disorder that sneaks up on me sometimes and makes explaining myself nearly impossible. I am so panicked at the idea of leaving Shadow with a stranger that it's giving me chest pains.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When they call again I will try and explain my issue. I have an anxiety disorder that sneaks up on me sometimes and makes explaining myself nearly impossible. I am so panicked at the idea of leaving Shadow with a stranger that it's giving me chest pains.
I totally understand that.

If things don't work out and I know I am a total stranger but if you want to make the 5 hour drive to Sault Ste. Marie & fly from here, I would be happy to watch Shadow for you for a few days if that's what it takes. Diva is 11 & an easy keeper even with her Mega-esophagus. I have a fenced back yard & the ability to separate the dogs. I can easily bring her to work with me to separate during the day as I have an office outfitted for dogs with gate across the office door, yet sometimes I think they are gating me in!

Please let all of us know how ever we can help. you know this group is good at that

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Are you sure there's anybody home in Alberta? I just got back from a road trip north of Spokane and just about every vehicle on the road had Alberta or BC plates, even on the back roads. Not unusual to see them, but never this many, :)
Sorry to hear about your situation and hope you can find a stress free solution.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I totally understand that.

If things don't work out and I know I am a total stranger but if you want to make the 5 hour drive to Sault Ste. Marie & fly from here, I would be happy to watch Shadow for you for a few days if that's what it takes. Diva is 11 & an easy keeper even with her Mega-esophagus. I have a fenced back yard & the ability to separate the dogs. I can easily bring her to work with me to separate during the day as I have an office outfitted for dogs with gate across the office door, yet sometimes I think they are gating me in!

Please let all of us know how ever we can help. you know this group is good at that
That is incredibly generous. I'm sure I will figure this out. Shadow is actually incredibly easy. Totally crate trained, never bothers anything. Likes to watch TV. My only fear is that she is spooky and will bolt. She behaves completely like a feral dog, so she's fantastically easy right up until she isn't. She's biddable but not obedient, hates being held but loves to snuggle, is shy but sweet and is terrified of other dogs and she lives in survival mode so if she gets loose it's a problem. Fortunately for me, and her, I have a long history with feral and semi feral dogs so we are able to get along and like every dog on the planet she falls for the car ride trick every time.
It makes me twitchy when I talk to dog sitters and they seem to not be concerned. I'm explaining close and LOCK the door before you open the crate, because she opens doors. Leash and collar on BEFORE you unlock the door. I'm getting "oh, dogs love me. We'll be fine".

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Are you sure there's anybody home in Alberta? I just got back from a road trip north of Spokane and just about every vehicle on the road had Alberta or BC plates, even on the back roads. Not unusual to see them, but never this many, :)
Sorry to hear about your situation and hope you can find a stress free solution.
That's because everyone wants to leave!

·
Registered
58 Posts
"It makes me twitchy when I talk to dog sitters and they seem to not be concerned. I'm explaining close and LOCK the door before you open the crate, because she opens doors. Leash and collar on BEFORE you unlock the door. I'm getting "oh, dogs love me. We'll be fine".

Understand that! 15 year, 4 month old dog with arthritis & and she had an attitude, but not very great mobility. I said, close the door, they said "she's going anywhere, guess what, turned into an "OJ chase" through the neighborhood but luckily we live in a quiet dead end street. I understand you concerns!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Any luck with skyping for your interview?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Any luck with skyping for your interview?
Its a medical assessment to determine percentage of permanent loss of use and impact. I am waiting to hear from them.

Shadow is not doing well these last couple of days. It may be just stress from all the snow blowers and plows around. But her "indicator ear" is tipping almost constantly. Lol. I discovered/realized a while back that when she is tired or sick, when her heart is stressed, the ear that was late coming up tips back down. I'm guessing then that her body actually works to keep that ear erect. I would love to see the science behind that. I wish she didn't need it but it's sort of a cool built in warning system.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I knew it was related to you work injury but didn't know what exactly to call it. It's funny how well we get to know our dogs, and their little idiosyncrasies. Nice to know what to look at for her as a warning. Hope she's better soon.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Is taking her with you an option? Are there more resources for her in Alberta? Not sure if you are able to drive there, as I am not familiar with Canada.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts