German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Shadow continues to decline. It's getting hard for me to watch. She has no energy most days, her left leg continues to be an issue and her eyes are so dull now. I was watching her sleep the other day and heart was pounding and she was panting like she had just run a marathon. At only 10 degrees it was not hot outside.
Nothing works, she improves for a minute and then backslides. She is happy and always excited to accompany me on outings, but she watched out the window of the car for two minutes last night and then laid down and had a nap. Walks are difficult as she limps half the time. I threw the Frisbee this morning and she just trotted over to where it was and laid down.
She still barks at the TV but with less enthusiasm and she still barks @GatorBytes on the phone but then wanders off to nap.
Carmen gave it her best shot and I am flat out of ideas.
Going to pick up some NEM for her leg today and see if that helps, have to get some vitamin E for me anyway.
Have been putting her bed outside with us so she can nap in the sun. I keep hoping sunshine will do it's job and make her feel better, it's been a long, hard winter.

I think my baby is just getting old. She's too young for this.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
I’m really sorry. It’s so hard when they start to fail. I’ve been there more times than I like to think of.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Im really sorry to read how she is declining. From my own experience with NEM, it made a difference for my old girl, I give to my boy, and it has made a big difference for me with my minor aches. Better than Advil. The positive effects should show up 7-10 days as that was about the amount of time I noticed the difference for myself. Can't remember for my girl but it was quick. I also recommended it to two friends both suffering from Knee pain after surgery and after recovery period. one had amazing results with it, the other didn't notice a difference.

I hope it works for Shadow. My best thoughts for both of you.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
Sorry to hear she's not doing well.Hope the warm sunshine helps her feel comfortable.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thoughts. I always knew this one would not grow old, but facing it sucks. It is weeks like this that make it so hard to justify her continuing.
I know she's in pain and I know she feels like crap and short of drugging her I am just fresh out of ideas. The info on supplements on line is just mind boggling, I will need much longer then her short life to figure it all out. To add to my frustration she has shown intolerance to some very odd things which means that I need to add supplements one at a time to track what she actually reacts to. And it seems like sometimes when I combine things it causes a reaction to things she was previously fine with, so every misstep takes me back to square one.
I just want my goofy, sweet, shy girl back.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
When you get the NEM tomorrow. Also get Magnesium (Bisglycinate form). New Roots brand for NEM (not combo form w/glucosamine) and Naka (Canadian made) for magnesium. Will help with smooth muscle contraction, heart health etc. Co-factor in over 300 enzymatic processes in the body. Bisglycinate has the least trouble on poop end of things (others can cause diarrhea).

Thinking of you and Shadow <3

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Aw, I'm so sorry she's struggling. Hope you find that perfect potion to help her.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up the NEM yesterday, GB was at work and I was baffled by the magnesium choices so I left it. Need to wait a few days anyway to make sure I am in the clear with the NEM and the MSM and Hawthorn combo she is already taking.
I was looking online and there is a Magnesium/Hawthorn combo which would make life more convenient but I don't know if its ok? For now I will do the separate and make certain there are no issues. Maybe later I will look at combos.
Just a note, I have tried the Phyt'n Chance but every time I try adding it she reacts after a few days and I need to stop everything, wait a few days and then start the Hawthorn again(which she loves). I even tried it on it's own and the most I got was 3 days before the vomiting/diarrhea started. My guess is that some obscure thing in it is causing a reaction. So the best I can do is two days on, three days off.
She suffered a severe skin reaction to the colostrum when I tried it. Poor thing could not even sleep and had patches of hair that had fallen out.
As I said, sometimes she does well with things until I combine them so this is a battle but I won't give up until she does.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very sad to hear about Shadow but she will be getting best possible care from you. Hopefully the warmer weather will alleviate some of the joint pain. Just a thought, is Vitamin D beneficial for dogs? Wishing you both the best x

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very sad to hear about Shadow but she will be getting best possible care from you. Hopefully the warmer weather will alleviate some of the joint pain. Just a thought, is Vitamin D beneficial for dogs? Wishing you both the best x
I'm not that smart. Lol.
All I do know is that there is a direct link in all mammals between the sunlight and their immune systems. It is no accident that colds, flus and the like attack us during the shortest days with the least sunlight. We require sunlight to keep our immune systems fully functional. I do not know if vitamin D is the key.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I'm so sorry. Its hard to see them decline. The most important thing is she is home with you who does everything to keep her comfortable and with you. I moved Lucky's bed around so he could always be with us and often slept downstairs with him. He was much older. I hope a new answer can be found.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She is perkier now, and apparently even on three legs she can outrun me. Stupid tenant downstairs has left gate open THREE times in the last day and a half. Lots of stray cats here and my girl likes to hunt, so a couple of impromptu romps through the neighborhood.
Fortunately she falls for the 'wanna go for a car ride?' game just like every other dog on the planet.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here we are in the winter again and once again I am watching a steady decline. Even with the NEM she has bouts of chewing at her leg, she seldom wants to do much but sleep and she is wobbly a lot. On the plus side her breathing is improved, her heart seems steadier and she has only puked twice since I left Calgary. Not so much coughing either and she is not limping much. I have no idea how she keeps bouncing back, last year I really believed she was done and with half of winter still ahead …..

I will be so happy to see spring!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Have you looked into a light box specifically for seasonal effective disorder? There aren't that many studies about whether or not dogs are affected the way humans are but there is some interest in that area. I was checking out the boxes and if there is no harm exposing her to it, the pricing of them doesn't seem too bad.

It's just something I thought that might help her through the winter months.

I know that that disorder is probably not her issue or at least I don't think it has been brought up in your threads it's just another idea.

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
I had an older dog who licked and chewed at her "ankle" joint area - to the point I was worrying about granulation tissue forming....put her on gabipentin (sp?) and she quit....hair grew back and no one would have known she had been chewing a month or so later...

Good luck - it is never easy watching them get old

Lee

1 - 20 of 70 Posts